Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

TEO1-1xxx.  I just bought this computer three days ago and it has been a nightmare. Today is about one of the issues. I have looked at several "pages" of information about my computer ( in relation to the multiple problems) and I came across this one thing I am not happy about. I get information that my computer is a Public device!!!!!!! I am not a library or any other public institution. I am a PRIVATE person and the computer is for my private use. How can I change this as I do not want my computer to be public!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@needhelp43 

You're most likely talking about the NETWORK to which you are connecting your PC.  Those can be Public or Private.

IF this is your home Network, then it should be Private -- but sometimes, Win10 messes this up and changes it to Public.

To reset it to Private, I presume you are using WiFi, so read this:  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/make-a-wi-fi-network-public-or-private-in-windows-10-046...

Hope that helps

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@needhelp43 

You're most likely talking about the NETWORK to which you are connecting your PC.  Those can be Public or Private.

IF this is your home Network, then it should be Private -- but sometimes, Win10 messes this up and changes it to Public.

To reset it to Private, I presume you are using WiFi, so read this:  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/make-a-wi-fi-network-public-or-private-in-windows-10-046...

Hope that helps

HP Recommended

thank you for trying to help but I must have posted in the wrong place. I am not using wi-fi, I do not know what that is or how to use it. I am on a home computer. could you try and give me another answer, please? 

HP Recommended

Hello
You mean the network configuration and the available modes, right?
In this case, unless you need certain functions, do not change anything.
If we are in public, that does not mean that the computer is public, on the contrary, it is more secure.

and as you can see in the link we gave you, it is mainly to protect yourself if you are connected by wifi

If you need to use a network printer, then it may be necessary

Capture d’écran 2021-01-01 105906.png

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

thank you, but I don't know what you are talking about. I think this is important, though. You said, " If we are in public, that does not mean that the computer is public, on the contrary, it is more secure." I will just leave things alone.

HP Recommended

@needhelp43 

Sorry, I presumed you were on WiFi because nearly everyone is today.  The same issue applies if you are on a wired network.

Your own local network is private but Windows can become confused and switch it to public -- leaving you to believe that the network is a public one, when it is not.

Use the information in this thread to check your network status and change it to private if it says public:  https://www.online-tech-tips.com/windows-10/change-from-public-to-private-network-in-windows-7-8-10/

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.