Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
C410a HP Photosmart Premium
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi there.

Recently I have been experiencing a few minor problems with printer recognition shortly after computer bootup. I get an error notification in the Sys tray icon and a popup message to that effect.

When I navigate to the system Device Manager I find that there is a problem with 4 (I think) HP printer drivers displaying the yellow exclamation mark next to them. When I run the wizard to update the drivers I am advised that the best ones are already installed.

I have downloaded what I believe to be the latest installation file in preparation of running it again in a hope that it will fix these problems.

Now here comes my next set-back.

During an installation attempt I was given the choice to choose between an internet connection via either a telephone line or a ADSL connection!

I have an NBN connection for my Windows PC.......So which of these 2 options do I use?

At this point I aborted the re-installation as I do not want to cause more damage or lose any or all printer access.

My ultimate hope is that the above problem is resolved and that I may still retain the Wi-Fi capabilities so that I can still use my iPad and also my wife's tablet.

At the moment my desktop PC is connected to the C410a printer via a USB cable and is working satifactorily. A Wi-Fi connection would be nicer though.

To sum- up. How can I remove the error exclamation marks against the HP printer in Device Manager to ensure a smooth error free System Manager readout after Booting and still retain my WI-Fi capabilities to my mobile devices?

Your advice would be most appreciated in this matter.

Regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @Janset,

Thank you for the replying,

Please take your time and get back to me with the results,

I'll be awaiting your response and would be glad to help.

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi @Janset,

Thank you for posting on HP Support Forums. It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. I see from the post that you are having connectivity issues on your HP Photosmart Printer. Don't worry as I have a few steps to help you get through this concern,

Let's start off by performing a Hard reset on the printer, router, computer and other devices on the same network.

The following steps temporarily disconnect network and Internet connections and require restarting your computer. Complete any tasks or downloads in progress before continuing.

1. Press the Power button on the printer to turn it off.

2. Disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.

3. Disconnect the power cord from the wireless router.

4. Turn off the computer.

5. Wait for 30 seconds.

6. Reconnect the power cord to the wireless router.

7. Wait for 30 seconds, or until the router is fully on and ready

8. Turn the computer back on.

9. Wait for the computer to reload

10. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.

11. Turn the printer back on.

Next thing, I would suggest here is to do a clean installation: 

1.) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features

2.) Select your HP Printer

3.) Select Uninstall

4.) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers

5.) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose 'Delete' or 'Remove Device'

6.) Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo.

7.) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”)

8.) Click on the "Drivers" tab

9.) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom

10.) Select Ok

11.) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows

12.) Close Devices and Printers

13 ). Restart the PC

14 ). Now click on this link: http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software13/COL34152/mp-109793-3/PS_AIO_07_C410_140_408-5.exe and install the updated printer drivers

15). Connect the USB cable only when prompted and follow the on-screen instructions to setup the printer.

Connect the USB cable and finish the printer installation.

If you want to change from a USB to wireless network connection, use the Printer Setup & Software utility that installed with your printer software:

1. Search for the printer name, and then click the name of your printer.

The printer software opens.

2. Click Tools, and then click Device Setup & Software.

3. Select the option which says "Convert a USB printer to Wireless"

4. Follow the onscreen instructions and complete the installation.

Let me know if those steps worked for you.

If they did, that’s awesome!

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,

That’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi there.

Thank you for your reply. At the moment I have other very important issues not relating the this problem that need my attention and time. As soon as time permits I will try your suggestion and get back to you with the results.

Regards

HP Recommended

Hi @Janset,

Thank you for the replying,

Please take your time and get back to me with the results,

I'll be awaiting your response and would be glad to help.

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Jeet.

Thank you for your patience. Yes your detailed instructions did the trick and you deserve the credit helping me.

There are two things though that I still would like a mention.

In my original post I stated that the new driver installation when opened, the intructions only shows that I have a choice of either a land telephone line connection,  or ADSL.

NBN, is what I have and that is not listed. In this case I took a guess and selected the  ADSL option, it must have been the right choice as all worked out, but for one thing.

My FAX failed the fax test.

Now here I will take another guess, please correct me if I am wrong.

The Fax does not work because I have NBN and my telephone service is by using Voip.

REgards 

HP Recommended

Hi @Janset,

Thank you for replying,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

I'm glad to hear it's working, however, you are having an issue with the Fax failed the fax test. Don't worry as I have a few steps which should help to resolve this issue.

Let's first disconnect the fax cable from the printer. Next thing, I would suggest here is to perform a Hard reset on the printer.

Perform a power reset to restore the fax settings to the default values. You might need to reset the language and country/region settings after the power reset is complete. To perform a power reset, follow these steps, depending on your product model.

1. Remove all the paper loaded in the main input tray.

2. Press the Power button () to turn off the product.

3. Disconnect the USB cable from the back of the product.

4. Disconnect the power cord from the product and wait 60 seconds.

5. Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

6. Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.

7. Reconnect the power cord to the back of the product.

8. Press the Power button () to turn on the product.

9. Reconnect the USB cable to the back of the product.

Now connect the cable back to the printer and perform a fax test.

Run a fax test from the control panel

Follow these steps to run the fax test from the product control panel.

1. Load plain white paper in the input tray.

2. On the product control panel, press Setup ().

3. Press the Down Arrow button () to select Tools, and then press OK.

4. Press the Down Arrow button () to select Run Fax Test, and then press OK.

The product runs the test and prints the fax test report. The control panel display tells you if the test passed or failed.

5. Review the fax test report. If the test failed, follow the instructions on the fax test report.

6. Press OK, and then press the Home button () to exit the Setup Menu.

Please check for the results, Please respond to the post with the details for further assistance.

Eagerly waiting for your response!

I hope you have a good day ahead,

And Feel free to ask your queries as this forum has some of the best people in the world

Available and ready to help.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Jeet.

This time I think I will have to forgo your advice. Here are my reasons.

Firstly, you mention to disconnect the USB cable for a hard reboot, I am no longer using the USB cable as I have set up a WI-Fi connection.

Secondly and more important is your instruction to restore my unit to default status.

This I am very reluctant to do as in a default status the answering machine is answered in (from memory, at a maximum of about 6 rings).

This is by far lot long enough.

After seeking a solution with HP support to overcome this problem, I was offered an in-depth solution (work around) to increase the rings to about 9 before the answering machine picked up.

This function to me is far more important than getting the fax to work, and so I do not want to risk fouling up this "work around" just to fix the fax which I may use about once or twice a year, now that email attachments are readily acceptable and used.

And that is it Jeet. Thank you for your valuable advice in getting my printers up and working to my satisfaction.

Regards

HP Recommended

Hi @Janset,

Thank you for replying,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

I'm glad to hear your printer is working fine, If you need any assistance with the fax issue or something else, please don't hesitate to reach out to us again.

You've been great to work with and it has been a genuine pleasure interacting with you. 

I hope both you and your product works great and remain healthy for a long time 😉

To simply say thanks for my efforts to assist you, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos.

And accept this as the solution to help others find your post helpful.

Take care now and do have a fabulous week ahead. 🙂

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.