Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

This is critical and HP needs to know this ASAP. Please someone on here get this information to the right people at HP. Yep this ssd came with my new HP Envy Phoenix 810-430qe and is effected by the slow read bug.

This drive uses the same TLC and has the same issue the Samsung 840 Evo has. A firmware update was released by Samsung to address this issue. Since this is a OEM drive.

When will HP release said firmware update for it? This ssd that came with my pc is SSD Family PM851

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9158/new-samsung-ssd-840-evo-read-performance-fix-coming-later-this-mo...

My understanding. This drive that came with my pc is a Samsung 840 EVO just the OEM version of it though. Current firmware version on my ssd drive is EXT09H0Q

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

Have you run read/write tests with CrystalDisk?

Do you have images of the tests you performed which show that your SSD is affected?

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

I have run tests. Speeds are fine for now. The ssd is to new to show symptoms atm. Its over time when it shows up. So, bad it can become unsuable. You can see all the many users complaining about this issue. Like I said. It uses the same TLC and is the same version as the Samsung 840/EVO just OEM version. 

I want to believe HP is in the know about this and working with Samsung on the issue as we speak. But, I don't have inside information on that.

HP Recommended

@FattysGoneWild

@erico

The firmware update for the slow read on the Samsung 840 EVO was released two months ago.   I have it installed on my Samsung EVOs.

Samsung 840 EVO firmware update.

OEM firmware updates would come from HP.  There is at least one post on the forum where the OP had tried the Samsumg Magician software and it would not work on the HP OEM Samsung SSD.  I think it was a 850 model.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

Exactly. So, it is up to HP to post new firmware. I hope they do ASAP. I DO NOT want to run into this in the near future. I am sure many others would feel the same.

HP Recommended

@Big_Dave

@FattysGoneWild

I have also installed the latest firmware in my Samsung Evo 840.  I am glad that the issue does  not affect my Samsung Evo 850.

I have asked a Moderator to bring this issue to the attention of the appropriate team within HP. 

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Hi @FattysGoneWild ,

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publically post ( serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Regards,
George

I work for HP
HP Recommended

Thank you very much. I have responsed to said person with information needed by request.

HP Recommended

Hello Everyone,

I also have an HP Probook 650 with the aforementioned drive at work, with the same firmware:  EXT09H0Q

Sadly it is more than likely that this issue with read speed degradation over time still perists in this drive. I tried to update it with Samsung Magician but it is not possible, since it is an OEM drive, that uses the same TLC NAND, that is utilised in the 840 EVO series. There are around 20 notebooks with the same SSD at work, so the problem will surface soon enough, if it surfaces I will gladly provide you with 20 benchmark results from all the notebooks.

Best Regards

PS.:

FattysGoneWild: It is nice seeng that others also check the parts in their system 😄

HP Recommended

Zero updates or information to share so far. I have yet to hear back from the person I sent the requested information they wanted.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.