Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I keep getting a small message box on screen saying  'Another instance is running'.  configuration system failed to initialize  ?

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hello @david1097,

Welcome to the HP Forums, I hope you enjoy your experience! To help you get the most out of the HP Forums I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I have read your post on how your desktop computer is displaying an error message "Another instance is running", which typically means an application cannot run in duplicate. I would be happy to help you, but first I would encourage you to post your product number for your computer. Below is a is an HP Support document that will demonstrate how to find your computer's product number. In addition, it will also help if you indicate which operating system you are using; and whether your operating system is 32 or 64 bit. The more information you can provide, the better!

How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?
Which Windows operating system am I running?
Is the Windows Version on My Computer 32-bit or 64-bit?

Please re-post with the necessary information, this way I will be able to research this further for you. I look forward to your reply!

Cheers! Smiley Happy

MechPilot
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply.

My computer is a  HP 22-2012na

Running Windows 8.1

64 bit.

HP Recommended

Hi again david1097,

It is good to hear back from you!

To correct this issue, I recommend booting your system in Safe Mode, which can be done by following the steps in this resource on Windows 8 Safe Mode

If the popup continues to appear, I recommend returning your system back to a previous restore point before the issue occurred. This can be done by following the steps in this document on Using Microsoft System Restore (Windows 😎.

Should the problem continue, I suggest performing a backup and recovery of your operating system. This can be done by following the steps in this resource on Backing Up Your Files (Windows 😎, as well as Performing an HP system recovery (Windows 😎. This should return your system back to factory defaults.

If the issue persists, please contact our technical support by clicking the link below to get the support number for your region.

www.hp.com/contacthp/

I hope this helps!

Regards 🙂

MechPilot
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Hi MechPilot,  thanks for the help.  I performed an HP recovery back to factory defaults. So far, touch wood, all seems ok. A pain, of course, but hopefully correcting any faults that I had. Lets hope tha,t with Windows 10 next month, the system will be better. Once again many thanks.

HP Recommended

thats it? do a retore or contact support? wow thought this was support.

I bought a new hp printer and it hasnt worked at ALL, was on support for 5 hours and still NOTHING.

perhaps time to switch brands.
hp 5740 XP pro

i get the error HP UPDATE: an instance of the service is already running

i go into word and have it "find printer" and it says "the directory service is currently unavailable"

I have removed ALL things hp from my pc using revo uninstaller pro, gets rid of registry entries and everything.

removed nd installed a bunch of times. my computer will not do a "system restore" for some reason so im sure there are issues with the os but should still print or someone should know what to do.

HP Recommended

product #qn574aa#aba

windows 10

HP Recommended

Product: F5C7EA#AB7

Windows 10

64-bit

HP Recommended

This is error is most often caused by adaware's web companion. You can verify this by leaving the box open after a restart and right clicking the icon on the tool bar (name of the program responsibile will be on the top line) going to the control panel and unstalling the program should stop the error.

HP Recommended

Hello to you and hope all is well GOD-WILLING, enough of this now i guess ?

My name is Bratso and I am not to good with the tec stuff,  I have a problem with my computor, It is saying that I have

another instance is running and it is driving me nuts , my computor keeps shutting down especially when i have YOUTUBE ON, my system is

windows 8.1 pro

processor AMD athlon (tm) 64 processor 3800+ 2.40 GHz

name of louie-69347acc

coputor description HP Pavilion

Product ID: 00178-11236-25267-AB229

If you or someone can help me out I would have no problem sending out some donation for the help....

Thank You

Kind Regards

Bratso

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.