Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 850-065se
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I couldn't find any information in the manuals or only product information but from other people on forums on the internet it seemed they were able to get the Samsung NVMe M.2 SSD to work. Mine is 500Gb. I can't seem to get the BIOS to recognize it at all. 

Any Help?

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@jgray152

Let me take a moment to thank you for posting on the HP Support Forums. 

I understand that you have an HP ENVY Phoenix 850-065se desktop PC and it does not detect the 500 GB Samsung NVMe M.2 SSD. In BIOS also it does not detect it. I'd like to assist you with this case.

I did some research and found the configurable options for this PC. Please click on this link to access it: http://hp.care/2iA7ydl

Based on the specifications, this PC has two M.2 slots. Have you tried using both the slots one by one and check if the drive is detected?

Meanwhile, you may check if the M2 slot is enabled in BIOS:

• Press the F10 key repeatedly during startup and the PC will boot into BIOS.
  • In the BIOS screen, go to the "Security" tab.
  • Under Security tab menu, go to Slot Security.
  • Ensure that M.2  card slots are enabled. 

Also, please let me know the exact printer model no. This link will help you to find the printer model no: http://hp.care/2bygf7l

Hope this information helps. Keep me posted. Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended

Hi,

Please disregard the "printer" you asked about.

I attached a picture of the motherboard. 

This board has 2 M.2 slots but only 1 can be used with this SSD. The other does not have sufficient space for it and is also used for the WIFI card. The other M.2 slot also has a very different pin configuration. 

Here is what I have tried.

1. Made sure both M.2 Slots were enabled under slot security

2. Disconnected all 4 SATA Hard Drives

3. Changed "Legacy Boot" to Disable" from "Enable"

4. Changed "Secure Boot" to "Enable" from "Disable"

Rebooted Computer - Pressed F10 & Entered BIOS Setup to check for M.2 NVMe SSD.

**BIOS DOES NOT SEE M.2 SSD** under any device menu or boot menu. There is no option to select the SSD as the SSD is not listed at all.

Here is where it gets interesting.

I made sure my BD-ROM was enabled in UEFI (While Legacy Support is Disabled) and inserted Windows 10 CD. Computer booted from CD and entered Win10 installation. Windows 10 Setup LISTED THE M.2 SSD! I was able to install window 10 on the M.2 SSD but could not boot from the SSD as the BIOS does not see the SSD at all in any device listings. I get error messages saying "no bootable hard drives found"

All I need to do now is get the BIOS to see my SSD. Any hints?

mbssd2.jpg

HP Recommended

I hooked up all my HDDs and booted the PC normally with the m.2 ssd install and booted into Window 7 Pro (Original OS installed on HDD). I installed the samsung SSD driver and I am able to access the SSD.

Why doesn't the BIOS Show the SSD in any device list? My purpose for buying this ssd was to boot windows 10 off of it. 

HP Recommended

@jgray152

Thank you for replying with the results and for sharing the image. I appreciate you taking your valuable time to troubleshoot.

I was researching further on this issue and found two of the forums thread where a few workarounds have helped. You may access the Forums thread via the below links:

Let me know how that pans out. Good luck! 🙂

HP Recommended
Thanks. Ill take a look further at those links. I read through them a little bit. I may try a couple things but i got irritated and bought a new pc case and asus motherboard. HP needs to fix all these issue with m.2 drives.

I will update this if i find a solution before ripping the system apart.
HP Recommended

@jgray152

Thank you for your suggestion. I will forward it to the concerned team. 

I'm happy for you that you purchased a new chassis and motherboard. I hope things work great and stay healthy for a long time. 

It has been an absolute privilege to have shared this platform with you. 🙂 I'm amazed at your technical competence by replacing the motherboard and Kudos to you for that. 🙂

You take care and a fabulous year ahead. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.