Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

How can I entering in BIOS not HP Assistant for HP Pavilion Elite 550ru computer?

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Typical way to enter BIOS is to look along the bottom of the HP splash screen at first boot.  The key needed is listed as "Enter BIOS" or "Enter Setup"  F1 or F10 or whatever it says.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Unfortunately, there is no info at the first screen. It's only possible to enter into setup program by clicking ESC.

After that some menu appears (F2-daignostic, F9-boot menu, F10 -setup and so on). By clicking F10 a setup program start which looks like BIOS but very simple

I want to know the way to enter to REAL BIOS program with possibility to change fan speed regulation, processor and chipset features. 

HP Recommended

The F10 is the only setup.  HP does not offer the extended BIOS features.  If the motherboard make and model is mentioned, I can have a look but it is not hopeful.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

BIOS -  AMI EFI v.7.14

MB - Pegatron 2AB6

Chipset - Intel Cougar Point H67

HP Recommended

HI,

HP uses a locked bios.  What you see is what you get.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

I have a question about entering the bios in HP-Pavilion P7-1455 that may be about same issue as with other Pavilion numbers.  No trouble finding the key, esc works well, along with F10, but either case, had to hit them twice; once after restart and next, when appears the HP logo.    But then, trouble is, what you get is not a real bios but rather a very elementary and limited version of what a true standard traditional bios should be.  Very few options are left to adjust ast our will and the key options of clock and fan speeds are nowhere to be seen.

Can anybody confirm that Hp has this politic of locking most normal options of the normal motherboard/chipset bios and delivering instead to buyer of Hp pcs a much slimmed-down version of what a bios normally is.

If so, that is sad news.  Only happy finding is that by simply accessing the fake Hp bios, without changing any parameter there, the noisy fan speed automatically slows down to an acceptable speed/noise level that will remain low afterwards, when rebooting the computer.  Don't know why since that doesn't make much sense but it works anyway.

How then to accelerate the noisy fan speed again to its prior level ?  Turn off completely the Pavilion, unplug the electrical cord and leave it to stay for some time, maybe an hour or more. 

HP Recommended

That is interesting about the fan changing spped once in the BIOS.

As to the other topic -  HP does not provide many chances to change things in the BIOS, probably to eliminate operator error.  That way things cannot get messed up too badly by the user.

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Okay, that way they have less headache enforcing their one-year guarantee on new desktops !

Thank you for your answer.   As for the fans, I saw yesterday that Windows 8 offers some options for cooling and power control, but have not tried them yet, so I don't know if they could be disabled by the Hp bios locked options.

HP Recommended

Hello Laboune,

This document may help on your Power Management questions.

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.