Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavillion Desktop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HP support assistant notified of required BIOS update. Clicked to install - the screen went blank and system emitted a number beeps and now system does not start.

unplugged box

restarted using recommended Windows key + B option

no response from system.

Windows0 + Model 550-012a HP Pavillion Desktop - Energy Star

Help appreciated.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@JMintouch33

Welcome to HP Forums, 

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips, 

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂 

As I understand the HP BIOS update failed & the computer will not restart,

No worries, as I'll be glad to help you, that said, I'll need a few more details to dissect your concern & provide an accurate solution:

Did you attempt the combination of Windows key + V as certain models support this version for the BIOS recovery?

Did you capture the sequence of beep codes?

While you respond to that, here's what you need to know:

If the BIOS on your PC becomes corrupted, for example from a failed BIOS upgrade or damage from a virus, the computer will fail to boot into an operating system. The computer might display a BIOS APPLICATION ERROR 50+ or simply stop at a black screen or beep. If you cannot enter the BIOS Setup Utility or System Recovery screens, and cannot start the computer from external storage devices, use this document to restore the BIOS.

Many HP computers have an HP BIOS Restore tool that might be able to recover the BIOS from an earlier version and restore basic functionality. This tool might or might not work in the event of BIOS corruption depending on many factors, but is worth trying in the event the BIOS has become corrupted.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE STEPS AND INSTRUCTIONS. 

That said, to diagnose the blinking LEDs (if any) or Beep Code on your computer: Click here

Keep me posted for further assistance 😉

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
I have the same issue, nothing so far will resolve it
HP Recommended

@Hologram

Thank you for joining HP Forums. 

I'll be glad to help you 🙂 

As I understand the BIOS update failed and the computer will not restart,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

Have you followed the steps suggested in my previous posts?

Click here to check the steps suggested earlier.

Keep me posted for further assistance 😉

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@Riddle_Decipher, 

Thank you for your comments, i have also submitted a forum post relating to this and the last reply was to contact phone support as all other options have not worked. Model Pavilion 550-015a. Any other ideas would be good. 

With the BIOS link it directs me to three options, 2015, 2016 and the recent of Jan 2017.

Issues with them as folows....

2015 SP73356, the mouse light stays off and after a half hour there is nothing on the screen

2016 SP74558, This one will open the BIOS update window then tells me it cant read teh file.

2017 SP78872, THis one will not let me create a Flash drive, it does not bring up the window with the options to enable this so it is not able to be tried.

When i start the PC (with no flash drives in) it brings up the HP BIOS Update window stating it is being recovered, it shows it is writing new BIOS Image and show teh block progression, then the next window is verifying the new BIOS image, after these are complete it states the system BIOS recovery is complete, continue startup and a counter. The screen then goes blank for a while, the mouse light flashes and then the blue box with a system BIOS recovery has occured, BIOS recovery 500 enter to continue. Press enter and the screen goes blank again, PC beeps 8 times and returnes to the first screen again.

Is the latest version of the BIOS corupt and this is why i can not get the 2017 one to install to a flash drive?

HP Recommended

Hi @Hologram

I am the The_Fossette. It looks like you were interacting with @Riddle_Decipher, but he is out of the office today so I'll take over from here.

I would like to know whether you have made any hardware changes on your computer? If yes, that could be a reason why the bios update is failing. 

I recommend you to contact phone support to further diagnose the issue.

Here is how you can get in touch with the phone support.

Open link:  www.hp.com/contacthp/
Enter Product number or select to auto detects
Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"
Scroll down and click on HP contact options - click on Get phone number.

Take care.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.