Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion HPE-180t
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I just installed a new Toshiba hard drive to replace an aging disk drive. I also updated my computer to bios 5.29. The system boots no problem, and Windows recognizes the hard drive. It is a 5tb x300 HDD and it is formatted and available as a GPT vs MBR. I'm running the system on the original Truckee motherboard 1.04. I ran HP recovery diagnostics and the HDD passed everything. There are no error messages in Windows device manager, and the SaTA drivers and Toshiba drivers are up to date. I can probably overlook the diagnostics, but I would rather everything passes so I can swap out the second older HDD. Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@Jp171

Welcome to the HP Forums 🙂

I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers.

As I understand there are error codes on the computer: Bios-1 and Bios-4,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help you, although, to provide an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details to dissect your concern: 

have you attempted to recover the BIOS as the issue is related to a corruption within the BIOS?

If you haven't, please try the below steps:

To recover an earlier version of the BIOS on your PC:

1. Turn off the computer.

2. With the computer off, press and hold the Windows logo key  and the B key at the same time.

3. Still pressing those keys, press and hold down the Power button on the computer for 2 to 3 seconds, and then release the Power button but continue to hold the Windows and B keys until the BIOS update screen is displayed or until you hear a beeping sound (usually 8 beeps).

The power LED light remains on, and the screen remains blank for about 40 seconds before anything appears on the display. You might also hear beeping sounds. Eventually, an HP BIOS Update screen displays and the BIOS update begins automatically.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE DETAILS AND STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS

If the issue persists, Please Contact HP for further assistance:

Please use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone number to obtain a case along with the phone number.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, 

Mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks. I tried this but the power comes on and skips the bios update. So I am unable to revert back. Can I use bios update 6.10 or 6.16?

HP Recommended

@Jp171

Thank you for the update,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

You could attempt either one of them, in fact, both, one at a time to check if either of it works,

However, at this time if the BIOS recovery failed, the best suggestion from HP would be to Contact HP Phone support to set up a repair order,

To flash the BIOS or replace the motherboard if need be, as it could have been bricked.

Please use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone number to obtain a case along with the phone number.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, 

Mark my post as Accepted Solution.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks Riddle. I am just going to keep things as they are for now. I installed a clean copy of Windows on a new hardrive. It did not fix the bios issues, but I have not had any crashes. The system still works. If I start to have problems, I may try the bios upgrade. 

HP Recommended

KThanks Riddle. I am just going to keep things as they are for now. I installed a clean copy of Windows on a new hardrive. It did not fix the bios issues, but I have not had any crashes. The system still works. If I start to have problems, I may try the bios upgrade. 

HP Recommended

@Jp171

Thank you for the replying,

Please take your time and get back to me with the results,

I'll be awaiting your response and would be glad to help,

if and when you need it, please re-post into the same thread and we should be able to help you out.

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.