Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Envy i7 desktop boot problem
Other

Hi, I'm running QubesOS, being doing fine for a year with my HP envy / i7 proc.

All of a sudden it wouldn't boot past the HP logo, and it wouldn't boot to bios either, so I thought maybe it was some hardware issue.

Question - does the HP logo boot off the bios chip?

Question2 - I did fix it by unplugging all memory, cables, and then reconnecting - maybe some oxidation issues - however, I still wonder why the HP logo came up and an opinion of the likely root cause.

Thanks,

CottageFarmer

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hello,

When booting this machine it goes to the HP logo but nothing further. I've tried booting to bios / cmos but that doesn't work.

I had this yesterday, removed all cables and reseated them and it worked after that. Maybe it's an intermittent wire harness issue? Also, I saw a link to troubleshooting such an issue but the page was not found.

Edit - new/additional info:  When I boot without the keyboard plugged in it advances past the HP logo to a "keyboard error" message. If I then plug it in right away it will continue to boot and the keyboard works. If I wait to plug the keyboard in until the OS starts to load the keyboard is not recognized. This sounds very much like a bios/cmos error, correct? What should my recovery process do?

Thanks,

CottageFarmer

HP Envy 750-177c Desktop PC with Intel Core i7-6700
Processor,16GB PC3 DDR3L Memory,2TB SATA Hard Drive,
Integrated Bluetooth 4.0 and Wireless LAN 802.11a/b/g/n/ac,
Graphics & Video: Intel Integrated 530 Graphics

HP Recommended

@cottagefarmer

Thank you for joining HP Forums. 

I'll be glad to help you 🙂 

As I understand your need information on Boot to HP Logo,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

Is the computer booting into windows now?

Did you update the BIOS or windows updates recently?

While you respond to that, here is what you should know:

Yes, the HP logo boots off the bios chip and would work whether or not the HDD is connected to the PC, in case that answers your question.

The issue you have mentioned about would appear if you've installed an update but it was interrupted or didn't install successfully, a restart or a power drain as the steps you've done would normally fix the issue.

Keep me posted for further assistance 😉

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@cottagefarmer

Thank you for responding,

It's great to have you back 😉

HP only supports the OEM version of windows (pre-installed) and due to the same, I was under the impression that you are using an app named QubeOS until I checked recently and found that it is a Linux based OS.

That said, I would recommend you revert back to factory shipped OS and everything should be back to normal: Click here for instructions on obtaining a recovery media and using it.

About the keyboard error, it's a possible driver issue and could be resolved by reinstalling the drivers for keyboard using an alternate/external keyboard and updating the BIOS chipset from the hp website: Click here

Keep me posted for further assistance 😉

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.