Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP All in ONe
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

No error messages - but the CD did not come out when the disk drive was opened.  I can kind of see it inside - does not jiggle and has not come loose when I turned it upside down and shook it!

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Look for a small hole near where the CD is inserted.

Straighten one end of a Norwegian paper-clip, and push it into that hole, until you feel resistance.

Then, push it with more effort, about 1 centimeter more.

You should feel (and hear) the CD-drive "unlock".

Press the open/close button, or click 'eject' on the icon for the optical drive, to see if it will now eject.

HP Recommended

@bigredkate

To better help you we would need the exact model number or product number of your laptop/desktop???

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c00033108

REO

HP Recommended

model # 20-c010

Product# V8P48AA#ABA

HP Recommended

@bigredkate

You could try removing the Optical Drive.

HP 20-c000 All-in-One Desktop PC series - 2. Service Procedures Videos

https://h20574.www2.hp.com/results.htm?SID=10734600&MEID=381FEF00-A7C5-4180-9C22-C16196C57EEA

Click on Optical Drive.

REO

HP Recommended

> You could try removing the Optical Drive.

That web-page has the text:

To remove the bezel, use a straightened paper clip or similar tool to force-eject the optical drive

One does not need to physically remove the optical drive to do what I suggested, namely to use a (Norwegian-invented) paper-clip to "force-eject" the tray, because that small hole is accessible even when the computer is fully assembled.

HP Recommended

@mdklassen 

If you read the first post they can see the disc when they have it opened.

And you do not always need a paperclip to open a CD drive.

Just go to This PC right click on the CD and click on eject.

REO

HP Recommended

> the CD did not come out when the disk drive was opened.  

> I can kind of see it inside - does not jiggle and has not come loose when I turned it upside down and shook it!

What are you saying?

Does the tray fully open?

Is the CD not properly centered in the tray?

Do you see just a small "arc" of the CD visible "deeply" inside the fully-opened tray?

Is the CD not properly seated in the tray?

Put differently, is it sitting "higher" than it should be?  The center of tray is slightly lower than the surrounding parts.

Back to the paper-clip.  Pick the largest/stiffest one that you can find.

Straighten it to look like:

+-------------------------------------------------------------

|

+-----

i.e., a one-centimeter "hook" on one end, and maybe a semi-circle "grip" (not shown) at the other end.

Open the tray.

Disconnect the AC power, to forcibly turn-off the computer.

Slide this paper-clip across the TOP of the media (the recorded surface is on the BOTTOM), and see if you can "catch" the hook into the center-hole of the CD, and as gently as possible pull the CD out.

Other than that, follow that video to disassemble the computer, and then go further, to unscrew the "casing" around the actual CD/DVD read/write mechanisms, to fully expose the media.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.