Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Compaq CQ5304UK
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I want to install a SSD on my desktop PC that is fitted with a Pegatron Narra 6 version 6.01 motherboard. I have tried to find an update to the AMI BIOS version 5.19 that is currently installed.

The BIOS at the moment is an old "dos" apperarance type and there is currently no option to select the USB drives for the 1st boot device. I would want to do this to install a fresh version of Windows 10 on the SSD.

Has anyone had experience of doing tis or obtaining an updated bios for this motherboard? I believe that the BIOS was specific to the HP build?

Any help appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

You are correct on the motherboard. HERE IS A THREAD that discussed similar topic to your question.

In answer to the question on the BIOS, there will be no more BIOS updates for a unit that old.  And yes, HP is the author of any updates.  You should not attempt any BIOS from the motherboard maker and their retail line.

You can make a DVD of the Windows 10 install media as an alternative to using the USB version.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Thanks for the quick response it seems that the previous poster had the same questions as I.

No problem getting the W10 installation on DVD, I can do that.

Are you able to confirm that the SSD will run on the system? From what I've read in the previous post it is only SATA 2 compliant, I don't want to buy a SATA 3 SSD to find that I can't use it? I too have seen suggestions that the computer is best run in SATA mode rather than IDE using AHCI but am unable to see any reference to SATA in the bios settings?

HP Recommended

As long as the SSD purchased can use the normal SATA port, it should work.  The motherboard does have SATA II ports.  If you want to get better speeds for the SSD, buy a SATA III PCIx card but be sure it also supports booting.  That is about all I can tell you.  I do not know what using AHCI is about.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.