Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi, I'm using Pavilion p6142p Desktop, WIN7, one harddsik.  The BIOS's  SATA mode was set to RAID by the factory default.

I'm going put two new harddisk in this desktop, they have different size and different RPM speed, I don't want RAID them.  So I tried to change the BIOS SATA mode to AHCI, then I can't start the win7, win7 gave me only two choices:  repair or restart, the repair failed too.  After I change BIOS back, everything OK.

But I do need put all three harddisk in this desktop. So my question is :

Do I have to use RAID in this PC? 

Do I have to re-install win7?

Anyway, what should I do?  Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

d1ad1a,

Raid will not work with unlike devices.  You can always install your new drives and give it a go.

It appears that the ugly way is going to be your only to get ACHI mode to work. Or, just live with what you have.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24
HP Recommended

When you boot your system do you see RAID menu briefly?  Sometimes the ctrl-i at boot time will get you into the RAID menu. If yes, then you can reset the RAID definition which should allow you to go to ACHI mode.

BACKUP EVERYTHING BEFORE DOING THIS!  Be sure that your recovery disks work!

Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

YES , I can see RAID menu after the HP BIOS logo.

Should I change BIOS sata mode first then CTRL+I,  OR reverse ?   Thanks

HP Recommended

Boot and enter ctrl-i to get into the RAID menu. Reset the RAID. Reboot and go into the BIOS and change the sata controller to ACHI and save.  Reboot.

HP Recommended

I enter the Raid menu,by crtl+N,   there's only a "RAID mode" I can change,   there are several choices:

mirror   (  the factory setup, I'm using right now)

stripe

span

stripe mirror

raid 5

Which one should I change to?

I can NOT find any place to disable raid in the raid menu. 

Thanks.

HP Recommended

I can NOT find any place to disable raid in the raid menu.

HP Recommended

I may have a differnt version of the RAID utility and I have dual HDs.  However, option #3 at the top of the screen says:

Reset Raid to non-Raid.

Do you see that option?

Your system may be configured for RAID pass-thru.  That may be what you have to live with.

P6142P specs

HP Recommended

Will your recovery disks boot up when you set the sata bios to ACHI mode?

If your are going to replace your hard drive and install another then you should be able to remove your existing HD and install the two new HDs.  Then switch the bios to ACHI and use to recovery disks to restore your system back to factory fresh state.  Just be sure that your new boot HD is equal or bigger than your current one.  Backup your programs and data before using the recovery disks!

HP Recommended

No, I don't have the "disable" option in the raid menu.  I can ONLY enter it by ctrl+N, so maybe different than yours by ctrl+i.

I didn't try the recovery disk yet, i really don't want to touch the win7, so much pain.  I'll re-install the win7 if nothing worked out.

One question: what about I install three HDD and do NOTHING, I mean, don't set them up in the raid menu.    Now my bios is sata raid, my raid menu is mirror.

Are they going to be set to Raid 1 automaticlly,  or  just three seperate HDD??

I can live with that as long as the system don't RAID them.  Thanks.

HP Recommended

I have a d5200t Pavillon Elite and the only way I was able to change from Raid to AHCI was to change it in the Bios from Raid to AHCI then shut down and rebooted with my Windows 7 disk and did a clean install. Long way around but I had tried everything else with no success.

Any day above the grass is a Great Day!
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.