Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi All,

I have an HP Pavilion desktop with a built-in SD card reader. I used to be able to delete files from SD cards inserted in it, but a few months ago it stopped letting me. When I press the delete key nothing happens, and when I right click on the files the delete option isn't there. I've tried it with several cards. None of the cards are locked. I can delete files from cards when I use an external card reader. What could have changed? I didn't change any of the settings in the computer.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hello qquake2k, Sorry to hear your SD card reader has stopped working for you.

It is possible, as I have heard from other HP Forum Members, that the cable from the reader connected to the reader and/or connected to the motherboard has becomce disconnected or even partially disconnected.

The instructions for the checking of this would be to remove the side of the inclosure (case) and check the cable to the motherboard, and/or remove the front bezel, and check the cable to the SD reader there.

If these cables are connected properly, it is very likely the SD reader has failed and would need to be replaced.

Before I did anything, I would enter the Device Manager and locate the reader and uninstall it.

Then reboot the system, let Windows find new hardware and install the drivers for it, and see if by chance, it works.

Hope this helps.

Please click the White Kudos star on the left, to say thanks.

Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

if  u r abel to read card in ur pc..then must be card got courrpted..for that would be better if u format ur SD card..for that click start....computer...right click removeble drive{ur sd card} ...select format...quick format

I work for hp touchsmart and i can try my level best to help you out..
what ever i post that would be my persnol opinion not HP's.
HP Recommended

As I said, I've tried it with multiple SD cards, from different cameras, and they all do it. I don't think it's the cards. What I forgot to mention is, my HP/Compaq PC at work is the same way. I used to be able to delete from cards, and now I can't. But I can from an external reader. I don't know what changed. I'll try uninstalling and reinstalling both internal readers and see if that does it. Thanks for the suggestion.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.