Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 500-141ea
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have repeatedly attempted to reboot after disabling UEFI Secure Boot but it simply defaults back to what it was before. I have the latest BIOS firmware AMI Version 80.52 installed but the problem existed prior to this update.

I upgraded from Windows 8.0 to Windows 10 when Microsoft made it available for free installation but I did create an HP Recovery set prior to this. This I have used in attempt to restore the Pavilion 500-141ea back to its factory state but it has been an absolute waste of time because this has made no difference and I still cannot enable Legacy mode when I wish to use it.

Please can someone offer a solution to this frustrating issue ... and for those that may question why I need the Legacy mode option, I like to try out Live Disc Linux Distros occasionally, some of which will not boot from the DVD drive!

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@Watchman34

Welcome to the HP Forums. I would be happy to help you with your HP Pavilion 500-141ea Desktop PC. I understand that you want to boot to legacy mode and you have already done some preliminary troubleshooting. 

I would like to help you on this.

Secure mode cannot be disabled since windows 10 runs only with the secure mode.

You can also refer to this link. For further information, Click here

Let me know how it goes.

I hope it helps and if you feel I have answered your question and concerns,

Please mark this post as a solution accepted and Kudos would also be appreciated.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

Sorry, but why would the option be there in the first place if it is not possible in WIndows 10 to disable Secure Mode?

Even after I reverted back to the original factory installation discs with Windows 8 it was not possible to switch to legacy mode but I distinctly remember it being able to do so before.

HP Recommended

@Watchman-34

Thanks for the reply.

I appreciate your time and effort.

I made a research on this and found a solution for this.

Click here and follow the steps mentioned under “Disabling Secure Boot on recent model notebook computers that include Legacy Support” in the document.

Let me know how it goes.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I'm afraid these instructions do not tally with AMI BIOS. I have already spent a considerable amount of time over the last fortnight trying to disable the Secure Mode and enable Legacy Mode but every time I come out of this and click to accept the changes it always defaults back to Secure mode.

HP Recommended

The dialogue box that is displayed in the AMI BIOS shown below does not show in my settings after I agree to the changes so this is not an option.

Boot mode change message.JPG

does not appear

HP Recommended

@Watchman-34

Thanks for the reply.

Please type the four digits shown in the blue screen (2959).

And hit enter.

Let me know how it goes.

If the issue is resolved and you appreciate my help,

Please click the "Accept as Solution" button and the "Thumbs Up".

Cheers!

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@sandytechy20 wrote:

@Watchman-34

Thanks for the reply.

Please type the four digits shown in the blue screen (2959).

And hit enter.

You still don't seem to undertsand! I cannot do any of this because I cannot get that far where the blue screen offers me a choice. If I don't get to the stage where a request is made for a four digit code how can I do what you suggest? This is so frustrating because no-one seems to undertsand that when I try to disable the Security mode and enable Legacy mode it just will not stop defaulting back to Legacy mode. I have even tried to restore my PC back with the Factory Recovery Discs to what it was when I was running Windows 8 but still nothing changes.

HP Recommended

Correction to my previous reply highlighted in red.

You still don't seem to undertsand! I cannot do any of this because I cannot get that far where the blue screen offers me a choice. If I don't get to the stage where a request is made for a four digit code how can I do what you suggest? This is so frustrating because no-one seems to undertsand that when I try to disable the Security mode and enable Legacy mode it just will not stop defaulting back to Security mode. I have even tried to restore my PC back with the Factory Recovery Discs to what it was when I was running Windows 8 but still nothing changes.

HP Recommended

@Watchman-34

“I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.”

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.