Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

HP Pavilion p6210y desktop

Win 7 Home Premium  64bit

no frills added

Push the power on button, the fans turn on (both psu, cpu, and case) and then after 3-5 seconds the fans power off and the system reboots.

- tried anohter psu

- removed memory

- unplugged hdd

same results.

Suggestions?

or replace the mobo and cpu?

Thanks...

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi,

Have you tried turning ON the system without connecting the RAM and HDD. Let me know what happens when you turn ON the system without connecting the RAM and then without connecting the HDD. 

Regards

Mahemac

--Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos (purple thumbs up icon in the lower right corner of a post)
--Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
, I am speaking for myself and not for HP and I am not an HP Employee.
HP Recommended

I removed the memory first and restarted.  Same result.

I disconnected the hdd, both power and data.   Same result.

No beeps.  No screen.  Just psu cycles on and off.

HP Recommended

Note:  the mobo is a Micro ATX

Pegatron M2N78-LA (Violet)     HP name=Violet-GL8E

CPU=AM2

Does anybody have a recommended equivalent mobo and cpu?    This is in the case it is the mobo/cpu?

Should one or the other be replaced first?   Such as replace mobo first and then if that doesn't work, replace the cpu?  or replace the CPU first?

thanks again.

HP Recommended

mahemac,

This is a new situation, likely not the M2N78LA board. The M2N78La has it's own problem.

1) I would be curious to know what happens when F5 is pressed repeatedly before the unit power's down.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00013522

2) Can the system boot into the BIOS via F10.

3) When was the CMOS battery changed?

If the system becomes 'stable", I would suggest the following info and help:

FAILED series computer with M2N78 boards

That series motherboard was installed in many different models of HP computers. It is fraught with problems.  http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware/m8530f-desktop-PC-with-a-m2n78-la-mother-board-doesn-...

Reported models with M2N78LA boards that have failed. This is not the complete list.

a4316f e9140f p5210y p6130y p6142p p6157c p6210f (Voilet) p6210y p6214c p6214y p6310y p632Violet6

p6320y a6720y m8530f m9120y m9350fm9517cVIOLET m9530f m9840sc Slimline s5360f Violet 6

05/26/2012 from the file:

Well, there is a work-around, but it comes with a few caveats.

The "solution" is to use a HighPoint Rocket 620 PCI-e to SATA  adapter and plug the HD and DVD into that. It has bootable support. I just did this on an HP Pavilion p6210y system.The card should cost between $25-$30. http://www.amazon.ca/HighPoint-Rocket620-SATA-PCI-Express-Controller/dp/B002VEWBGO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF...

Now, here are the caveats I've found so far:

1) The Rocket 620 only has 2 SATA ports. If all you want is to get the PC up and running again, your machine will boot up and be "normal" again. Windows 7 should have no issue with the Rocket 620. There may be some issues with XP and Windows 2003.

2) You will not be able to boot from CD/DVD. This is not a big deal, if your OS is intact, or your recovery partition is intact. If not, then you're in for problems.

3) Data transfer rate will probably be slower than the onboard ports.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

I re-installed the memory and hdd.

Strange - when I plug in the power cable the system immediately trys to turn on without hittnig the power button.  Then reboots.

Nothing appears on the monitor; the system cycles back off within 2-3 seconds.  Tried to get the system to go into BIOS.  The monitor never shows anything.  No beeps either.

Quoted from above:

"

mahemac,

This is a new situation, likely not the M2N78LA board. The M2N78La has it's own problem.  "

Does this mean it might not be the mobo?   The sentence has 'not'.  

The system battery has not been replaced.  Maybe I should pick one up.

sorry for my confusion...   and thanks for the help.

HP Recommended

Hi,

So if i understand correctly,

1. Once you removed the RAM and when you tried to turn ON the system without RAM being connected. Did you get beeps or not ?

2. Can you try to disconnect the power cable connected from the power supply to motherboard and check if the light at the back of the power supply stays stable when you connect the power cable.

Thats is the white 24 pin on the motherboard

Regards

Mahemac

--Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos (purple thumbs up icon in the lower right corner of a post)
HP Recommended

No beeps.

Disconnecting the mobo power supply cable from the mobo - the psu green light stayed on.   Note:  I also tried another power supply from another computer - same results.

Note that the cycle time between power on's is about 1-2 seconds; the fans barely get to full speed before the system recycles.

Don't know if it is important - the unit comes on immediately when the power cord is plugged in.  I don't have to use the towers power button.

Thanks for the help.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Have you upgrade the system, like graphic card upgrade or any other hardware upgrade, If you havent dont that. Then its a issue with the Motherboard and which needs to replaced.

Regards

Mahemac

HP Recommended

Can you recommend a substitute for this board?  The HP violet board is pricey compared to ASUS, ASRock, and Gigabyte.  The original mobo was

Micro ATX

Pegatron M2N78-LA (Violet)     HP name=Violet-GL8E

CPU=AM2

(And I did replace the battery.  No luck)

Thanks.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.