Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Hp Omni 100-5155 Desktop PC
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

For the past 3 weeks my computer was having pop ups even with my norton protection.  So yesterday, I pulled up my norton app and downloaded the backup and recovery.  It found many problems once it had finished scanning.  I applied to fix the issues it found.  But It seemed stuck on that all day long.  So, this morning I forced to reboot my computer.  Now all it wants to do is reboot and try to fix itself with the hp system restore.  But that is all it does all day long, over and over again.  It comes on and goes straight to system trying to find the problem but then says it can't.  And the screen of System recovery comes on and constantly wants me to reset or boot or recover.  I don't know anymore what to do.  I can not get any other screen to come up to check it out.  just reboots after reboots.  Can you help me resolve this? 

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@Mattie1

Thank you for posting on HP Forums, 

Riddle_Decipher is at your service. 

As I Understand the computer restarts unexpectedly,

No worries, as I'll be glad to help you, that said, I'll need a few more details to dissect your concern & provide an accurate solution: 

Did you ever get any BSOD or blue screen errors before the computer restarted or shutdown on its own?

Have you attempted to update the BIOS any time in the recent past?

While you respond to that, here's a few things you could do:

Step 1: Disabling Automatically restart option to view error messages

Many hardware driver or operating system errors will cause the computer to display a specific error message before stopping the operation or shutting down the computer. However, an error may cause the computer to stop operating, but it will not display an error message if the Automatically restart option is enabled. Disable this option to allow the computer to display the error message.

Step 2: Checking for failed hardware

Hardware problems can cause the computer to restart unexpectedly. For more information about checking for hardware problems, see HP Desktop PCs - Testing for Hardware Failures (Windows 7) or HP Notebook PCs - Testing for Hardware Failures (Windows 7 and Windows Vista).

Step 3: Updating the BIOS

A BIOS update can resolve issues with the computer shutting down unexpectedly. Follow the steps in the following sections to use HP Support Assistant or to check for a BIOS update at the HP website.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE STEPS AND INSTRUCTIONS.

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well, 

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts,  

mark my post as Accepted Solution. 

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment. 

Regards, 

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for responding.  No it didn't have blue messages come up or I have not gone to BIOS.  I do not know what that is.  The Startup Repair keeps trying to fix my computer and it a screen Recovery Manager comes up.  It doesn't allow me to do anything else.

HP Recommended

I am totally computer ignoret.  So I do not know to many abreviation that go with it.  I just know I have important files on there that I can not get to and I need to for work.  So I pray you can help me.

My computer was acting up with pop ups so I loaded some extra problem solver from my norton to update and then it went crazy from there.  It took two days to try to fix the issues it found. And when I manually rebooted it, it stayed stuck on startup repair rebooting. (And startup repair can't fix it) That's what it says

HP Recommended

@Mattie1

You've done a remarkable job performing the steps suggested earlier, great work 🙂 

And don't worry, as we should be able to fix this up with a few more steps and I'll be with you until we ensure this issue is fixed. 

I understand you aren't familiar with the technical jargon and you don't have to be,

Simply go through the steps I've mentioned in my previous post, in fact just CLICK HERE to start troubleshooting and finding a fix for your PC.

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below,  

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner, 

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day! 

Regards, 

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I wish I could just press that and it would run to help my computer.  I am on another computer emailing you because the one I need help with I can not even get pass the recovery manager screen.  That's my big dilima.  I need to get into that computer.

HP Recommended

How can I get into the computer if it isn't giving me the option to do so?

HP Recommended

> How can I get into the computer if it isn't giving me the option to do so?

Turn the computer off, by holding-down the on/off button for 30 seconds.

Turn the computer on, and immediately and repeatedly press the 'F8' key, until you see a "recovery" menu.

From that menu, it might be possible to take a "backup" of all your personal files/music/pictures/video/E-mail to an external disk-drive (which I presume that you have).

But, if you say that you don't have the technical skills to fix your problems, I think that it's time to find a technophile friend, or to take your computer to a qualified computer technician, for them to troubleshoot.

HP Recommended

I tried the F8 key.  It's still not letting me get past the repetious of the startup repair coming up over and over

HP Recommended

It's time to find a technophile friend, or to take your computer to a qualified computer technician, for them to troubleshoot.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.