Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavillion 23
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I had to do a restore on my computer and I did create a back up DVD of my data.  It went throught the whole process with no errors.  Then when I did the restore is acted like it did a complete restore but my data was not restored.  I have checked the DVD and it give me an error when I try to access the DVD.  I have tried using a program to look at the files it will show me the main file and all the sub files but I cannot open any of the files.  When I try to open a file it will hang the application and I have to kill the process.  It would be nice if I could get my data back as it is a pain in the ass not to have it.  And I see no reason why if the process of backing up the data did not provide an error message why I shouldn't be able to access it.

Thank you,

Ron Sliter

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Recovering the data from the disk is a seperate process and not part of the HP Recovery.

Read the following HP document.

HP PCs - Restoring Files that were Backed Up Using HP Recovery Manager. It should help you.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03056985

@r_sliter

I had to edit this after finding out that the link to the other document was dead. I will ask HP to fix it. In the meantime, the same method should work for Windows 10.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Apparently you did not read my posted message completely or you didn't understand what I was asking.  So, let's try this again.  I had to do a restore through the HP utility it worked okay and I thought I was recovering all the data on my computer before the operating system was overlaid.  It showed that everything was fine no error were reported on the writing of my files to the DVD.  Now pay attention when I went to restore my data after the overlay of the operating system it did not work.  When I tried to look at the DVD it would show me the directory and all the sub directories but even with the proper program I could not look at the zipped files.  I had an application that would allow me to view *.wim files.  Nothing nada zip.  I have tried copying the DVD to my hard disk but that errors out too. 

SO WHAT I AM ASKING IS DO YOU KNOW OF A UTILITY THAT POSSIBLY CAN FIX THE FILES ON THE DVD?  Should be a simple yes or no answer and a name if there is one.  It would also be nice if it had restored the windows 10 that had been upgraded on the computer and the image file in Recovery as the updated version.

HP Recommended

Well maybe I should  just respond along the same line as you did in your last response. I would rather be civil.

Apparently you do not get that recovery of the backed up data is a seperate process from the recoveries. That is a fact. Call HP and ask a service representative. That is what you will be told.

If you have not already done it, you may have to use the File Explorer Options section of the Control panel to select the option to view hidden files.

That is  also why I provided a link to an explanation of how to recover the data from the .WIM files in the folder. The utility is an executable in the same folder as the .WIM files.

I read and understood what you wrote, but a recovery will not do something that it is not meant to do.

It is so much nicer to be civil. We are not employees. We are volunteers who share what we have learned with others.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended
Sorry but I loose patience with supposed experts who's own self importance make them think they are superior. I have forgotten more than you will ever know. I spent 30 years in Silicon Valley in many different capacities including 2nd tier support. You would not have made the cut. I wasn't asking if that specific recovery could fix the files on the DVD. I was simply asking if HP had a utility to repair the file created by the back-up and recovery.
You made the question much more complicated than it really was. It would have been nice if you would have understood the question before you went off on your own tangent. And if you would have bothered to ask I would have told you I already tried the executable on the DVD.
HP Recommended

"And if you would have bothered to ask I would have told you I already tried the executable on the DVD. "

If I had bothered to ask? 

Why didn't you include it in the information about your issue in the first place. 

Maybe where you worked included ESP as a requisite skill.

I  do not have that ability.

I ask questions just  because I cannot read your mind.

Insulting people seems to be something you like to do.

I simply wanted to try to help you resolve your issue and have used the resources I have at my disposal. 

We volunteers do not have access to the resources that HP's fulltime paid agents and employees do.

I was unable to help you. Perhaps someone else here will.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.