Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
280 G1 mt
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello,

today i downloaded the latest bios version on HP website for the said PC, the file was .exe so i had to install it from windows until it reached a point to reboot; after reboot it went into a screen to choose update bios or update later, i choosed update bios and waited. it rebooted and gave some noise, then it went silent and nothing happened after that. now the pc is not starting up, nothing on the screen.. any suggestions?

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hold down the Windows Key and the B key at the same time. Press the power button and wait for the PC to respond and recover the BIOS.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

What's happening is the fans only that works when i press the power button, the monitor and keyboard doesn't show that its receiving any signal, i formatted the harddisk on a different computer. I used your method, i held the Windows Key + B then powered on the computer while am holding it, waited for about 4 minutes and nothing happened. any other suggestions? i should repeat the steps ?

HP Recommended

If you formatted the hard disk before using the recovery method I suggested, then that is why it didn't work.

The previous BIOS was in a folder on the hard disk and formatting it removed it form the hard disk. 

The modern UEFI BIOS keeps part of what it needs on the hard disk. Formatting it was not a good thing. 

I will have to see if we can find a version you can put on a usb flash drive to boot to and recover your BIOS.

I am unable to locate a compatible BIOS version that you can put on a USB flashdrive to recover the BIOS.

I recommend that you contact Hewlett Packard Enterprise directly for warranty repair.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Hello,

If any of what I will list below can help, Please Tell me:

1- I still have the original Harddisk, the one i formatted is a harddisk i use for testing operating system.

2- I have another Computer same model and it's working and functioning well.

3- the bios i installed is the bios on the website of HP support drivers and software

Thank you for your support!

HP Recommended

Install the original hard disk.

Power the notebook on with the power adapter connbected and then use the Windows key + B key method.

HP Recommended

It is a desktop not a notebook.

HP Recommended

@Moha2 wrote:

It is a desktop not a notebook.

You still need to install the original hard disk. It has the previous BIOS file.

HP Recommended

Hello

am having the same issue with my desktop G1 mt it makes an 8 beeps then a black screen and when i try the key combination to load the default bios already installed in the harddisk it won't load because  there is no respond from the keyboard or mouse

please advice

Thanks

HP Recommended

@shinwa wrote:

Hello

am having the same issue with my desktop G1 mt it makes an 8 beeps then a black screen and when i try the key combination to load the default bios already installed in the harddisk it won't load because  there is no respond from the keyboard or mouse

please advice

Thanks

The 8 beep diagnostic means that there is an invalid ROM detected. That would be the BIOS file in the CMOS chip on the motherboard.  

Which BIOS did you attempt to update to?

The option that may resolve your issue is downloading the  HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI softpaq and making a standalone troubleshooting USB  flash drive with it. Boot to it and use the Firmware Management to rollback to the previous BIOS. Create the standalone troubleshooting USB  flash drive on a different  PC or notebook and then plug it into a port on your 280 G1 and boot to it. The following link is direct to the Hp softpaq that you need.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-280-g1-microtower-pc/7357746/swItemId/v...

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.