Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I'm an elec eng and playing with large compromised electrolytics is not a good idea.  More advanced fail modes can be fire, explosion, discharge of toxic fumes.

The power supplies are relatively cheap and easy to swap out, why not just bite the bullet and do it?

HP Recommended

I am completely dismayed by the failure of HP to correct and/or warn users of the dangers in the solutions provided here.

If your PS is flashing, go ahead and hit it with a hair dryer.  If it allows the system to start up then you know the PS is the issue.  SHUT IT OFF IMMEDIETLY AND REPLACE THE PS!  BEFORE THE FIRE STARTS, OR WORSE!

The only solution here that is worthy of positive comment is the one about the bulging capacitors.  If you take the cover off of the PS and look you should see "caps" that have bulges in the tops.  You will know what you are looking at by the cross in the aluminum tops of the "caps".  If they are rounded, those are the bad ones.  (One of mine showed actual leakage, a spot of dried brown gunk in the center of the cross.)  The cross is there to allow the cap to expand and release the pressure without exploding in the case.  Do not use a PS with bulging caps!  The auther is correct about the failing caps performing better when heated.  It's a dangerious work-around and by no means a long term fix.  A note about working with caps; they are energy storage devices and can contain enough amps to stop your heart like a sledge hammer on an ant!  Don't work on them until you have SAFELY discharged them.  If you don't know how to do this, STOP!  Let a professional handle it.

If there are no bad caps, or other visably bad/burnt components, then you can try replaceing the fan.  If the fan cannot spin the PS cannot work.  This is to make sure the PS cannot over-heat and blow-out in case of a cooling fan failure.  If the new fan doesn't do it, replace the PS.  The heat of the blow dryer helps to loosen gunk build up on the fan bearings and get it moving.  You still need to replace the fan.

Ignore this advice at your own peril.

HP Recommended

I created an account just so I could log in and tell you all that the blow dryer trick works perfectly.  Took about 40-45 seconds.  I used my blow gun that I use to repair ipad screens with.  This thing gets pretty hot and I held it pretty close.  About 2 inches away.  

EDIT:  After reading more above, it sounds like my best bet is to go ahead and replace the power supply.  It's just not worth the risk.  At least the hair dryer trick helped me realize that the PSU was the actual issue and not the mother board. 

If the hair dryer trick works, you know it's the power supply.  I'm going to head up to Frys and buy one for around 35 dollars.  Power supplies take about 5-10 min to install.  

HAve a good Christmas all!!!

HP Recommended

I normally don't post much but I had to share my story.  Powered off my system last night and when I went to power it on this morning--Nothing.  Checked the back and the green light was on, but after I unplugged the CPU the green light started blinking.  No power at all to the PC.  Started my internet search for problems at work and quickly found this site.  I assumed I needed a new power supply.

However, before I went to Best Buy to get one I figured I'd try the blow dryer trick.  Turned it on for 15 seconds and the light went from blinking to a solid green, however, still no power.  Unplugged it and held down on the power button for 10 seconds (just to make sure I had no power left in the motherboard), then plugged the CPU up again--blinking green.  Turned on the blow dryer on again and after another 15 seconds the light went to a solid green.   Hit the power button and the system booted right up!!!

This trick definitely works!!  I will likely buy a new power supply for about $50.00 (400W from Best Buy soon) and ultimately replace my 4 1/2 year old M9340F, but for now it is wokring like a charm.  The great advice here and my wife's blow dryer saved the day!!

HP Recommended

The hairdryer trick works.

Thanks

HP Recommended

I cleaned dust from the inside of the unit by removing the side panel and blew out the dust with air from my compressor.  Then the fun began.  I got the blinking green light when powering up the unit.  I checked all connections with no luck.  Then I read about the hair dryer 'trick'.  I powered the unit and blew hot air on the power unit.  In about one minute the green light stopped blinking and the unit could be started.  Many thanks for sharing.

HP Recommended

Thanks worked for me

HP Recommended

Ok, so I was having this problem myself and here was what the problem was. The battery on the motherboard was dead. I replaced it with a new one and now the computer will boot up 🙂 hope this helps.

HP Recommended

Try the blowdryer on the fan trick, it worked great for me as well.  Does anyone know why this works?

HP Recommended

having problem with flashing light try this open case with power on and connected jigle all connections to mother board. now find the main mother board connection disconnect while powered up// green light solid on power supply. if yes simply plug your connector back in and press boot up switch ..

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.