Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Envy 27er monitor
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Purchased this 27in Monitor in part because it claims HDCP compatibility.  Works fine w my computer at 1080P and other resolutions with no HDCP involved. Does not work with my cable set top box(STB) at anything above 720P. Multiple STB tried, multiple cables, etc that all work fine with my full HD TV. (Motorola VIP2202 is STB  full digital w IP between boxes from fiber modem to router-- allows you to set max resolution of your "TV" or monitor in my case.  Has full HD capability and delivers many HD signals from HD only TV Channels).  So I am trying to decide:

• Do I not understand what HDCP should mean?  Shouldn't my STB play w the monitor at 1080P just like my HDTV?
  • Is the Monitor faulty (bad HDCP) & should I exchange for a working one during my retailer's 30 day return window?
  • Should I buy a different brand -- anyone had success w STB to monitor at full HD with another make?

I am replacing a monitor (dead) that gave me 720P from the STB via a HDMI to VGA adapter.  I expected to move up with a "modern" higher end monitor -- instead, I ended up the same place.

<edit: my HP 27er monitor was identified as part of the Envy line.  It is not.  It is correctly ID'ed as a HP 27er.>

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi! @DrJFM2, Thanks for stopping by HP forums!

I understand that you are unable to get 1080p using your monitor.

Don't worry I will try to help you out.

Did you make any changes to your monitor?

Kudos to you for trying out the steps before reaching out to us.

As you mentioned your monitor will not show 1080p picture quality using the STB (set top box).

HDCP has nothing to with the picture quality. You have to contact your cable operator and get a full HD set top box.

Only then your monitor will display full HD picture quality.

Also, Please know the definition and use of HDCP mentioned below.

High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP) is a security feature developed by Intel Corporation that requires the use of HDCP-certified products in order to receive an HDCP-encrypted digital signal.

It works by encrypting a digital signal with a key that requires authentication from the transmitting and receiving the product. If authentication fails then the signal fails.

The Digital Content Protection LLC (DCP), the organization that licenses HDCP, describes on their website the purpose of HDCP as protecting “digital entertainment content across the DVI/HDMI interface."

The most current version is 2.0, which was released in October 2008. New features to version 2.0 include wireless capability and locality checks.

Most products on the market will have a previous HDCP version, which is fine because HDCP is compatible across versions.

A simple answer is that an HDCP session will result in the exchange of keys between the source and display device.  The source device will query the display to make sure that the equipment is HDCP compliant before the video is shown.  Non-HDCP devices such as PC's and older model DVI products will work with any DVI compliant display, but the HDCP compliant boxes will show an image only on HDCP compliant display.  

Let me know if this helps!

Cheers! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have three full 1080P Set Top Boxes.  They all put out 1080P to my TV.  None will display 1080P on the monitor.

I have done all the Foreign Tech Service BS of rebooting everything 2 or 3 times.  I have switched cables, etc.

I am left with the failure of my monitor to negotiate a successful HDCP handshake etc with my STBs. 

Since you also seem to believe that the monitor should be capable of accepting a full HD signal from a STB,

I will assume my monitor is faulty and return it for another. 

I get 1080P from my computer (no HDCP involved) and I do understand HDCP.   I point it out because the only two explanations for what I observe are:

1) the monitor is faulty out of the box

2) the specs lie and the monitor will not negotiate a HDCP handshake with a protected source.

And your assumption that I did not understand and failure to read that I had multiple STB's that output 1080P to my HDTV suggest that indeed, HP quality may be the suspect cause here.

HP Recommended

H @DrJFM2,

I reviewed the post comprehensively. Brilliant troubleshooting and spectacular analysis of the situation. Hats off to you on that score. 🙂  I am jumping in here as @A4Apollo, is out of office for the day. One simple way to further isolate the issue to a faulty monitor would be to connect it to a computer that is  HDCP compliant and check if the display is 1080p. If the display on the external monitor has a lower resolution, then the monitor could be faulty and you could get it exchanged by contacting HP phone support.

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone number, Case number and phone number appear.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

If the unit is under warranty, the manufacturer’s warranty should take care of it for you.

A couple things to be kept in mind. I will send you the user guide links for the monitor. Please go through it and that might help. Link for user guide: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03630265

Link 2 for user guide: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05341422

Link 3: for quick setup guide: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05341595

Hope this helps.   I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. 🙂  Please reach out for any issues and I'll always be there to assist you always. 🙂

To simply say thanksplease click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

this helpsplease mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 🙂 

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks David for reviewing my problem in detail.  One correction I have to make to the whole thread is that my monitor is an HP 27er, not an Envy monitor.  I mistakenly thought that Envy was the name for all the slim line monitors like mine.

I have continued my quest to understand the failure in performance I am getting.  Both my cable company and HP imply that the monitor should connect to the STB (and both want to say the fault is with the other). 

As I initially stated, the monitor works fine w my computer at 1080p.  I had sought to "play" HDCP protected content through my desktop, but it is difficult to locate an known protected sample file.  If HP has such a test file, it would be a plus to have this available.  DVD's play fine.  Netflix plays fine and I assumed Netflix likely used HDCP, but do not know this.  But now I have made progress in determining if there was a fault in the HDCP as implemented on my monitor.  By purchasing and installing BluRay software on my desktop, I was able to run  a BluRay evaluation tool (which said my system was OK for BluRay, including a HDCP check-off on the display).  Indeed, I can play BluRay movie disk at 1080P through my computer.  These two HDCP checks (along w Netflix) have moved my emphasis from HDCP issues to the question of video modes.  Your HDCP appears functional and still no success w my STB signal.

As suggested, I turned to a more detailed look at the specs and User Guide info -- for both my 27er and other HP models. Most of the other (earlier?,more expensive?) 27 inch HP monitors (Pavilion Line, the Pavilion 27XW for example) show, in their HP USER GUIDES, a fairly wide range of operating frequencies they can sink with.  Both the 27XW and my 27er have about 10  "resolution" settings that are factory preset modes.  These are recognized and syc w the monitor.  My suspicion is that my STB uses a somewhat non-standard 1080P mode.  My TV syncs OK, the 27er does not.

The other monitors allow setting "User Modes" to allow syc with non-standard input signals as follows:

Entering user modes

The video controller signal may occasionally call for a mode that is not preset if:
     ● You are not using a standard graphics adapter.
     ● You are not using a preset mode.
It this occurs, you may need to readjust the parameters of the monitor screen by using the on-screen display.
Your changes can be made to any or all of these modes and saved in memory. The monitor automatically
stores the new setting, and then recognizes the new mode just as it does a preset mode. In addition to the
factory preset modes, there are at least 10 user modes that can be entered and stored.

The HP 27er user guide does have a similar paragraph describing User Modes, but there is absolutely no provision in the OSM system to set these modes with my 27er.   I assume these settings are functional on other 27 in monitors such as the Pavillion 27XW that is available from the retailer I purchased my 27er from.  So at this point, my questions become:

• Are User Mode settings available for the HP 27er?
  • If so, how are they accessed?
  • What is the horizontal (kHz) and verticle (Hz) operating ranges for the 27er.  This is specified for the other 27in monitors you produce in the User Guide, but is not listed in the Guide referenced for the 27er.
  • Should a User Guide have been included with my unit?  I received none. Ditto to no disk w drivers.
  • Should the <Menu><Image Control><Image Scaling> on screen control be functional? Mine is not.

Thanks for the assistance.  I hope you can answer these last few questions. I do not want to return a monitor that is functioning properly but neither do I wish to keep a unit that does not meet specs or is somehow defective.  The User Mode seems a possible fix to my issue -- if, indeed, it is available.  I have Firmware Revision RIM232.

Cheers.

HP Recommended

Hi @DrJFM2,

I reviewed the post comprehensively. I thank you for your super quick reply.   I thank you greatly for your response. First off, You are super skilled and kudos to you for that. 🙂

• After going through your copious and exhaustive research and deductions I have arrived at certain conclusions.
  • It is not possible for the Monitor to display HDCP content from the Blue ray software and not from STBs. There is something amiss here. I am not pitting you against the STBs
  • But common sense tells me that the monitor is fine as it does display such content from your post.
  • Please do this. I know it is a lot of work. If it is possible to contact someone who knows who has STBs that are HDCP compliant and check if this monitor displays such content in 1080p correctly. That should actually hit the nail right on its head. If it does, then you need to speak with your STB vendor in this regard. Also, confirm that their TV or monitor is HDCP compliant and displays such content correctly from their STB.
  • Please do this only if it is possible for you to carry the monitor over to a friend’s location and if it is not too much work.
  • If it does not then the monitor can be swapped out with a different one. The firmware on the monitor is perfect.
  • These links are all the links that I could find relating to your monitor. Please check them out.
  • Link 1: HP 27er 27-inch Display - Product Specifications: http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-value-27-inch-displays/3989902/document/c05078501/
  • Link 2: Quick Setup guide: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05105346
  • Link 3: User guide: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05105530
  • Link 4: gives information on support, troubleshooting and manuals: http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Value-27-inch-Displays/3989902/model/10402872/more-options

Hope this helps.  A final word, I still think the monitor is functioning correctly because of the Blueray evaluation software that you’ve installed and run which concludes that the monitor does display HDCP content.

Trust me I've done everything here to assist you by keeping your best interest in mind. 🙂 I’ve done a lot of research myself. You've  been absolutely superb to work with, by displaying great technical skills. 🙂 I thank you again for your time. It has been an absolute privilege to share this platform with you. 🙂

To simply say thanksplease click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 

You take care now, stay healthy, keep smiling big and do have a blessed year ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I am still looking for an answer on how to enter User Mode parameters!  There is no apparent entry to this function on my HP 27er menus even though the User Guide says that they exist and may be necessary to sync with a signal that does not match one of the 10 Preset resolutions built in as defaults.

The Blue text from my previous post was a cut and paste from the guide you are sending me to.

When I test my monitor w my STB set to 1080p, it displays a Signal our to range warning

Sync Error w STB 1080p Signal

This warning suggest to me that the signal (which can not be 24 Hz Vertical) is not being properly synced and may have a non-standard but nearly 1080p output format.  If properly matched via the User Mode frequency adjustments, the signal should display fine.

I agree, the monitor is not obviously at fault -- but I also do have an issue with the Guide describing an inaccessible feature ie the User Mode settings that should allow me to sync to the STB.

I had asked if these features are available on the other 27in devices you sell that describe the feature as well

and

If they should be accessible on the 27er. 

I can read and understand most any literature I can access -- but nothing you have indicated answers these question regarding its operation and, in particular, the presence and operation of the described user mode settings. It is the literature you suggest that describes the user mode without any instructions on accessing this function.

I need someone actually familiar with the unit and its brethern and their physical operation to answer these questions, not just another pair of eyes reading the literature.  There should be a detailed description of all the entries in the On Screen Menus somewhere -- can you find it and supply it?  Some real hands on tech should know if any of these models eg the Pavillion 27XW and my HP 27er actually implement this User Mode and how to do it. I do appreciate that a fair amount of effort has been expended on your part.  If you have never operated the unit, have no access to one and the 27XW, you will not be able to answer the question of how to operate the user mode. Please pass this query on to someone who can. I have even started to use more bold text since that apparently makes statements more helpful.

HP Recommended

Hi @DrJFM2,

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. 

They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. 
Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. 

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 🙂 

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

DavidSMP or whomever:

I have waited over a month for some response since you wrote:

"I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. 

They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number.  Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. "

HP seems unwilling or unable to explain the access to advertised features of my 27e monitor.  It does not seem to be asking too much to expect some basic information on the operation of the product. 

I remain unable to display a full 1080p signal that displays fine on other equipment.  The monitor continues to complain of out of range horizontal and verticle signals, suggesting a failure to sync with one of the default resolution settings.  User Mode should allow me to sync the signal and the monitor.  It is advertised but does not seem to be available or else is accessed by some hidden procedure not provided to customers by any known method (electronic or print).

Just wanted you to know that no one has your back on this.  Had this info been available on line or in print, I would not have needed to contact you -- since you apparently have no resources byond the online manual and advertising BS. 

Perhaps I should start the return process since useage instructions are not available to meet the specified operational parameters.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.