Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion Desktop 550-a14
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hopefully someone can help me, because this is baffling to me and all of my tech savy friends. I used to have a modem/wifi router all in one. The connection would cut in and out when connected via an ethernet cable, but was OK if the computer was connected to the internet via wifi. Just to be clear: when I connected via the ethernet cable, I have the wifi option turned off for the computer. A friend came over and tried to diagnose the issue and thought the issue was with the modem/router and not the desktop. The strength wasn't the fasted- so when a good deal presented itself for a seperate cable modem and wireless router, I jumped on the opportunity and bought both. 

I set up the cable modem and the internet connection was great when connected through an ethernet cable. However, once I set up the wireless router, the previous issue persisted. The internet connection cuts in and out whether I have the wifi on or off. However, if I connect the computer throught the wifi, the connection is strong. The new wifi router is of much better quality, so overall I am happy. 

However, I would much prefer my desktop be connected through an ethernet cable, because the connection is much more reliable.

Yes, all my firmware for both the router and desktop is up to date and my anti-virus/firewall isn't the issue. I just can't figure out why the ethernet cable works fine when plugged directly to the cable modem and not when connected via the wifi router.

Any ideas? 

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi , 

Kindly try performing the steps in this document to troubleshoot wired home network issues in Windows 10. Test the network connection after performing each step. If the problem is not fixed, continue to the next step.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04649156

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***
***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***
***Although I am an HP Employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP***

I work for HP
HP Recommended

Thank you for the reply and suggestions. I performed some of the tasks and it didn't help. I'm not so desperate yet to perform a full system restore.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.