Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I received a phone call from a middle eastern sounding gentleman who said he worked for HP and detected dangerous "hacking" type of activity on my computer.  Phone number registered as 704.125.4171. He wanted me to run "eventvwr" on my computer, but I hung up after this as I became suspicious this may be a scam. Anyone else have this happen?

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Yes Generally they call and tell you yourcomputer is generating errors and warning..they received these notifications from computer..your computer might be at high risk..somebody tried to hack your computer..then they will share your computer screen..remotely they will get the control of your computer and then they will make your computer screen black on your end but they will be able to see your computer screen from their end..then they will tell you to give them money or else they will block your computer or steal aal your information from your computer if you don't pay them.remember one thing a legitimate company never calls their costomers until an unless you call them..only a scammer calls ..

HP Recommended

If you use the "search" function on this area of the HP Forum, you will find several similar discussions:

* Is there any way you can help to stop getting calls from 844... by PapaBass  in Desktop Operating Systems and Recovery 

* HIT with a MICROSOFT phone Call SCAM by Thhynes25  in Desktop Operating Systems and Recovery 

* Legitimate or Scam? by Lisa_R  in Desktop Operating Systems and Recovery 

* 844-883-2946 phone scam by Jaha25  in Desktop Operating Systems and Recovery 

* HP Scam Call by cheflee  in Desktop Operating Systems and Recovery 

* Privacy by wordy15  in Desktop Operating Systems and Recovery 

and more.

The purpose of opening the Windows "Event Viewer", via the 'EVENTVWR' command, is to show you some "error-messages" that Windows has recorded, ever since Windows was installed on your computer, and then to convince you that the caller will, for a large fee, "fix" those error-messages.

You did the CORRECT thing, by hanging-up on them.

I would have been tempted to keep the caller on the telephone for as long as possible, without following the instructions -- the time the caller expends talking to me is time that the caller cannot be talking to anybody more gullible than I.   :Wink: 

Sometimes, I demand to talk to the shift-supervisor in that "call-center", and do my best to frustrate him/her, too.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.