Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 7000 P7 -1058uk
Windows 7

Hi peeps, 

Looking for a bit of help. 

Friends of mine purchased a Blu ray drive and tried to install it themselves, did not realise the front panel came off so removed most of the front panel connectors. 

I do not really do hardware other than the odd HDD replacement or ram etc on my own PC so am getting a little confused with the wiring. 

Question is, I have the USB 1 and USB 2 connectors situated I believe correctly as well as the audio which is on the far left, the usb 4 is being used by the TV/IR on the back. 

The cable from the power button has not found a home yet as I am unsure where is goes. The reset is in the correct position, it is just the 9 pin (6 wires) from the power button. 
power button.jpgusb 1 2  3 4.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The 2 x 5 f - panel header, as you realize, only has 9 pins.  Motherboard layout . The pic does not show the header, you need to look next to the SATA headers on the opposite corner of your pic.

Board.JPG        9pinpower.jpg

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Just to clarify the connector currently in the usb 3 port is the one from the power button that I am unsure if should be there. I put it there for the purpose of the picture. (multi coloured wires) 

Having spoke with them again a little while back they connected it to the LPC Debug port, I suspect this might have caused some damage to the motherboard?????

I will lay in the sad card as it is genuinely a sad situation, the owner of the machine is a friends father who has been diagnosed with Lung cancer and spends most of his day on this computer. 

Really hoping somebody can help. I am very reluctant for obvious reasons to start plugging in trial and error in case I do any damage above what may have already happened. 

HP Recommended

The 2 x 5 f - panel header, as you realize, only has 9 pins.  Motherboard layout . The pic does not show the header, you need to look next to the SATA headers on the opposite corner of your pic.

Board.JPG        9pinpower.jpg

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply, much appreciated. In conjunction with the pictures I have provided. Where should it go? 

Feel free to treat me like the dumbest person on the earth, its christmas so alcohol has probably killed of some or all of the brain capacity I had left. 

On this motherboard it seems to have a seperate reset  connector which is positioned on the motherboard in the top right hand corner. 

HP Recommended

Install the 9 pin into the header. The reset is not a separate cable, according to the explanation.  Open the link I sent, and view the various tabs (+).

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
HP Recommended

I think my lack of knowledge on such subjects is causing miscomunnication. 

With what I have already written as well as the picture provided.  I will provide some more to hopefully ease dumbness and hopefully allow your expertise to help me. 

There is two cables coming from the back of the power botton the multicoloured 9 pin (with 6 wires) and another that goes into and was never removed into the top left hand corner providing reset/LED I suspect. 

I am only intersted in where exactly the multi coloured connector goes. I have already looked through the link before you provided it. Thank you though. 

All I am asking is looking at the pics.  Does the multi coloured wires connector go on the motherboard?
Does it go in the pins marked usb 3 or 4, does it go in somewhere else? 

Putting up diagrams with links to stuff I have already looked over which with my lack of knowledge does not help?

Imagine helping a child to build a lego house, where does the next piece go? That is what I am asking/

HP Recommended

The cable shown in your photo is the lead from the power switch.  It goes to the 9 pin header on the motheboard.  The header is marked "F-panel", not USB.

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
HP Recommended

Thank you 

HP Recommended

Why is this marked as solved. All I said was Thank you?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.