Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP 280 G1
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32-bit)

This 280 G1 is rebooting about every other week, when it restarts says it's recovering for 30-60 minutes.

In the system Log show errors saying MFT is corrupt, unexpected reboot and damaged filesystem.

At least once I had to recover my data from backups as It lost a file I needed (said it had 0 bytes).

I have replaced the hdd, a few days later the same problem showed up.

Also updated to 10 and in a few days it rebooted with same problem.

Then I replaced HDD again with Clean Install of Windows 10 - same thing.

HP technician replaced MOBO, installed everything back on original HDD, and it worked for 3 weeks then errors showed up again.

What else can I do?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

> I have replaced the hdd,

> I replaced HDD again

> HP technician replaced MOBO,

> What else can I do?

Run the built-in HP Hardware Diagnostics to test the RAM -- you've already replaced the motherboard and the disk-drive, the two other major components.

The only other critical component is the power-supply.

Do you live in a country with "flakey" electrical power, with "surges" and/or "spikes"?

Are you using a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) to give "smooth" power to your computer?

HP Recommended

I had already used the HP diagnostics to test the Ram and it found nothing.

Our electrical power depends a lot on where we are, there are places where it can't be used without an UPS, but this is not the case.

Last time we had some noticeable power trouble was during a storm, months ago, back then some of the lights blinked once or twice, but the PC kept on running.

We used to have an UPS years ago, but it wasn't replaced when the batteries died.

HP Recommended

Your claims:

* it is not the motherboard

* it is not the disk-drive

* it is not the RAM

* file-system corruption of the MFT (Master File Table) caused by sudden loss of power

The only remaining possibility is the power-supply.   Replace it, if only temporarily, and reactivate the UPS.

Is there some large appliance (refrigerator, power-washer, floor-buffer, vacuum cleaner, food-juicer, et cetera) that can cause power "spikes" on the electrical circuits in your area?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.