Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I was gone on vacation and shutdown my computer for 2 weeks.  My monitor was working fine for a month before this.  I came home last night and turned on my system this morning.  Now I keep getting a white message box in the middle of the screen with "Input Signal Out of Range. Change Settings to 1920 x 1080 - 60Hz" and then the monitor goes to sleep.  I can turn the monitor off, wait a moment and then turn it back on again but the same thing keeps happening over and over again.  I checked and the display is already set to 1920 x 1080 - 60Hz.  I am using VGA and have the default set to this.  I followed the online troubleshooting guide for this error but it did not help.  Can someone please tell me how to fix this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I finally got this figured out!  Here is what I did.

Control Panel

Display

Settings

Advanced

Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator Driver

Graphics Properties

Display Settings

Display Expansion

At this point chose Full Screen (No Border) instead of 'Maintain Aspect Ratio'

As soon as I set this the error screen went away!  Can anyone explain to me why this one adjustment did the trick?  I would love to know.

Thanks for all for your assistance.

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
HP Recommended

Hi ArthurC_99,

Did you follow all the steps in this HP Support document regarding the error?

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00061509

A few other questions:

What is the model number of your PC?

What operating system do you have?

Have you done anything with the PC previous to going on vacation such as upgrade software?

...an HP employee just trying to help where I can, but not speaking on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

Is this the online guide that you have used?

Out of range

007OHMSS

I was a support engineer for HP.

If the advice resolved the situation, please mark it as a solution. Thank you.
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply.  I responded last night but do not see that my response was posted.  Did you recieve it?

HP Recommended

The link you provided is the one I had followed.  It did not resolve the issue for me. 

• Windows opens, but after a while the monitor displays the message: The message pops up immediately on reboot.  I can see all of the programs coming up in the background.  I have to keep turning the monitor off and on again in order to the the system come up.
  • Startup screens display, but the message opens before the Windows desktop opens: Same as above.
  • The message is the only item that displays on the screen:  This is not the issue I am having.

I cannot figure out why it was working before for about a month and now, all of the sudden I have this problem.  I have a Dell Optiplax GX520 that is about 3 years old.  I am running Windows XP.  I have security updates for Windows scheduled to upload every night at 2:00 AM.  I have had security updates applied and the system rebooted a few times since I got this monitor with no issue.

HP Recommended

Yes this is the guide I used.  It did not help.

HP Recommended

Logically, something has changed, if there is not some sort of hardware failure.

With that in mind, if it was me, I would reinstall the LCD drivers from here:

XP for 2509b

The drivers could have become corrupted through an update or something. This would correct that, if that is what happened.

The other thing I would try, would be to update the Dell's onboard video drivers. Update them from the Dell website.

007OHMSS

I was a support engineer for HP.

If the advice resolved the situation, please mark it as a solution. Thank you.
HP Recommended

Hi ArthurC_99,

Have you tried booting into Safe Mode or Low Resolution Mode?

Try the steps in the doc linked above related to booting into Low Res mode:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00061509

That will help you discover if it is the monitor or some settings or driver issue.

...an HP employee just trying to help where I can, but not speaking on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

Thanks you for the response.  I apologize for the delayed response on my part.  I have been traveling.

I did as you suggested and downloaded and reinstalled the video card driver and the monitor driver.  I then bounced the PC.  I am still having the same problem with a slight difference.  Now the box with the error message moves across the screen.

HP Recommended

Did you try changing the startup option to Safe Mode?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.