Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

We have more than 50 brand new Windows 7 64-bit HP8200 Elite Small Form Factor PCs on campus. 

We have each of them reboot at 4:30am via the task scheduler with the command C:\Windows\System32\shutdown.exe /r /c "Automatic Restart" /f

Almost every night a random number of PCs and random PCs will hang and not restart. 

They seem to shutdown.

• They do not respond to pings. 
  • The screen is black and if screen is cycle-powered it says there is no signal.
  • The computer is totally unresponsive to keystrokes or mouse movement.
  • There is absolutely no disk activity - indicated by lamp on the PC.

The only way to revive the PC is to hold the power switch in for 5 seconds and then power back on.

They seems to hang at restart.

After power on - there is no message about windows 7 not shutting down properly and the PC runs perfectly.

The problem is that many users work remotely by remote controlling their office PC and of course if the PC is hung, they are out of luck.

Any helps is greatly appreciated.

31 REPLIES 31
HP Recommended

I have a larege install base - so far i have seen 3 8200 SFFs affected (win7 32 and XP) i updated the BIOS to 2.14 (looks like 2.15 is out now as well. Since the issue i sintermittent (like once or twice every 2-3 weeks) i have to play the waiting game to see if this resolves.

One question - is the green power light still on when the issue occurs?

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, the green power light is on and steady when this occurs.

But the disk light is completely off - none of the usual intermittent flashing when the machine is operational.

HP Recommended

We are also encountering this problem on Window 7 64-bit Enterprise with HP 8200 Elite SFF using the Shutdown command.  I'll keep you posted if we find a resolution and would appreciate the same.  Thanks.

HP Recommended

I've got the same issue happening as well on the SFF elite 8200.  We have the core i5 chipset.

We're running XP SP3.

Current BIOS version is 2.06 on our machines.

I am going to update to BIOS 2.15 rev A .

Based on the  same problems across different Windows OS, seems like a BIOS issue, or worse, a motherboard or chip issue.

We received a new batch of 8200's just recently, after the 2.15 update.  I'll break one out and see what BIOS they shipped with and report back.

HP Recommended

We are having the same issue with many of our 200+ newly installed PCs.  Running Windows 7 Professional 32-bit, I7, Radeon 6450 Graphics, SSD 4GB memory.  We started with BIOS 2.06, updated most to BIOS 2.09 with no relief.  Tried updating a test machine to BIOS 2.14 and saw that 2.15 came out shortly after, but documentation on these does not mention fixing the issue.  Since it is so random, can't tell if the latest BIOS update fixed things, or if it just hasn't happened yet.  Also, we have the updated chipset 9.2.0.1015 on some machines and they are still seeing the issue.  Seems to happen more often when a machine hasn't been rebooted in a while (normal machines are rebooted by users when they leave for the day, but 'extra' machines don't get restarted as often).  Happens on any random machine, though, and can be weeks between issues. 

Really a problem because of remote access issues as mentioned by someone above.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

HP Recommended

I have found 9 cases (in an enviroment of about 1500 8200s) after updating the BIOS to version 2.14 or 2.15 none have had a reocurrance. With most of the PCs, it would be several weeks between occurances. But on two PCs, it would occur every couple reboots. so i am pretty confient the BIOS update is a fix.

The one fix it version 2.14 meantions something about the Power Supply being detected incorectly - thinking thats it.

HP Recommended

We seem to have it occurring on a higher percentage of our machines (many of our 200 PCs, at one time or another) but it has been more infrequent and so, more difficult to test the new BIOS easily.  Because of your response, though, we will try updating a few more machines and see how things go from there.

Thanks for your response...

Luck

HP Recommended

I have tried upfdating the bios to 2.15 but that doesn't seem to be the answer as the problem has not gone away.

HP Recommended

Has anyone found a solution yet? The bios update doesn't fix the problem. It may make the problem less severe but I'm not even sure of that. I am sure though that updating the bios and all of the drivers has no effect.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.