Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

zepp. my best guess is that yes, once it reboots attached to the laptop it will start reaching for drivers etc for that hardware. maybe u can try a hotswap...once it shuts down and is ready to reboot, put the hardrive back into the envy and let it go from there. but idk if that will work. worth a shot tho. did u ever try resetting the BIOS by just removing the pin and battery all together and not even moving it into the reset position. with the battery being out and the pin being off completely, the bios will reset since there will be no battery for it to remember its settings,,,me personally, i would take both jumpers off,,,,the cmos/bios one and the cmos/password one. being in the position u are in now, i was there too and i called it the "F&*k IT" position. what more damage could u really do anyway..right?

HP Recommended

Ok, so it's been awhile.  I got one of the computers back up and running by doing exactly what you said.  I kept taking the CMOS battery and the jumpers out.  Finally it came up.  The second computer still will not allow me to enter the bios or access anything.  I even reformatted the hard drive and got a set of recovery disks from HP for my computer.  Still nothing.  It sure is a nice screen to have to throw away but short of replacing the motherboard I am stuck.

HP Recommended

zeppledd. Glad you have gotten one working soo far. It takes time and can be tedious. This second machine in question? Is it basically the same machine as the first? Is it experiencing the same issue as the one u have fixed? I can almost guarantee u that it can be resolved in the same manner as the first machine. I myself personally think that these motherboards have some sort of issue seperate from the original issue. But i think they just have some weird issue with resetting cmos/bios etc. Therefore sometimes taking many attempts at doing so. Most motherboards i have worked with in the past, when u want to reset the cmos it is done simple and usually on the first attempt. But for some reason the motherboards on these HP ENVY machines (LarryBird i believe, or something close). These motherboards just dont seem to like taking a reset. Keep on trying. dont toss it please. If u are really at the point of throwin it out let me know and i will pay for shipping and u can send it me..lol. im serious. Just dont give up. Take a break from it. Take a crack at it every couple of days when u have time. It can be a real pain in the ass but it will eventually take and you will be happier than a pig in **bleep**. DONT FORGET TO UPDATE THAT BIOS IMMEDIATELY OR IT WILL BLACK SCREEN ON U AGAIN!!

GOOD LUCK

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply.  It is pretty much the same computer.  The only difference is mine is an HP Envy 23-d160qd and my husbands is an HP Envy 23-d150.  Any variance is small.  His has bluetooth and mine doesn't.  The motherboard is a Pegatron IPISB-NK.  The HP name is Lavaca3-SB.  I have tried looking on the Pegatron website also to no avail.  I will try to remain patient and continue my vigil of trying to reset the bios but I am really bleepin tired of not having my desktop.  Thanks for your information and support.  HP could certainly learn a lesson from you on how to treat their customers.

HP Recommended

I'm having the exact same problem described with an HP Envy 23-d060qd. The number of machines having this same problems is alarming, almost feels like there's a built in time bomb so we have to either spend money on a fix or purchase a new unit.

HP Recommended

The only response I found to this problem from HP was to contact customer support.  While I appreciate the forums you would think an HP person could chime in once in awhile.  It is incredible to me that the BIOS cannot be accessed and will not reset itself making it capable of being accessed.  We paid good money for the AIO computer.  My next purchase will not be HP.

HP Recommended
The bios or CMOS jumpers can be accessed by opening the machine up. Its not really as difficult as one would think. And it may take a few times to get it to reset..I don't know why but for myself and others it has. Remove all cables. Power and all. Open it up. Locate the motherboard battery. The jumpers should very close to it. I've even removed the battery itself and left it alone overnight with the jumper in reset mode also. Woke up and it booted. Be sure to update the bios as soon as u can once u are back in windows or the black screen will happen again. Good luck. Don't give up. We are here for .
HP Recommended

I've tried resetting the cmos at least 100 time. I've not had any success with it.

HP Recommended
Its very very tedious. No one seems to know why. Ask our pal zeppledd. Same problem with two machines and with tons and tons of trials and tribulations has finally gotten one back up and running. Just a couple nonsense questions for u. The computer is unplugged when u do this right? And are you moving the correct jumper? Leave it in the reset position for like a half hour. Longer if u can. Even take the battery out of the motherboard. By no means am I questioning your skill just trying to help. That method is what I did. Over and over. Day in and day out for almost 2 weeks and finally one day it decided to post. Very finicky motherboards these are. Don't give up just yet.
HP Recommended

I HAVE SOLVED THIS PROBLEM (on my model PC at least)

I have recently encountered and fixed this exact problem on 2 of HP ENVY 23 All-in-one PC's.

Model number for both was 23-d010a

After windows 10 updates, about 3 months apart, they eventually booted with a windows error then would turn on but wouldn't boot at all. ie power up but black screen.

I tried the CMOS clear sequence many many times and got it to randomly work for no apparent reason as described above, but due to not having correct hardware installed once i did get BIOS booting, had to turn off, install correct hardware then clear CMOS again. (imagine the expletives)

After about 2 days of doing exactly the same thing on both PC's and randomly having only one of them boot at any one time, i eventually removed both 8GB memory cards (my model has 16GB RAM) and put in a single 2GB card of the same type on one of the PC's

After doing this, the CMOS clear sequence worked instantly and correctly with no issues and worked on both PC's

I then went through the following emotions in this order.

Disbelief, frustration, hatred, relief, joy 🙂

I reloaded windows on one of them and updated the bios to latest version, the other one i had the existing harddrive already with windows 10 that had been running on that PC so booted on that and updated the bios. I have had no issues on either of them since.

Having too much RAM installed when resetting BIOS appears to prevent the procedure from working correctly. I was still having the same issues with only 1 of the 8GB memory cards installed. It only worked with the 2GB. It could possibly work with another size less than 8GB but i couldn't try due to only having the 2GB chip on hand.

After putting a small memory card in, and for those who don't want to look it up, for my model, the CMOS clear sequence is:

1) Turn off the PC by holding power button for 5 seconds

2) Remove the main power cord from the power outlet at the wall end or the power supply (brick) end. Always do it this way or risk damaging the PC due to the auto on/off function of the "brick" power supply

3) Drain the power supply residual charge by holding the PC power button for 15 seconds

4) Shift the CMOS clear jumper (near the CMOS battery) to the clear position. The correct positions are shown on the internal covers.

5) Plug power cable in and turn the PC on for 30 seconds

6) Remove the main power cord from the power outlet at the wall end or the power supply (brick) end.

7) Shift the CMOS clear jumper (near the CMOS battery) back to it's original position.

😎 Plug power cable in and turn the PC on and it should boot to BIOS screen

Please reply in this forum if you try this fix and it works.

Also, please link to this fix from other forums if it works as it took me considerable amount of time on internet trying to find what to try to fix the black screen at powerup problem and i'd hate for anyone else to go through what i did when the fix is so simple.

The high end HP Envy's aren't cheap and i was VERY happy i managed to crack to problem!

Hope this helps someone!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.