Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi Steve,

Thanks very much indeed for sharing the information. Yes, you are right. Thanks for pointing out the mistyped CLR_CMOS jumper positions; I have just checked the 700540-501 LARRYBIRD-B H61 manual (http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03506231) again and confirmed that the 1-2 position of the CLR_CMOS jumper is for CMOS clearing whereas the 2-3 position is for normal operation. Nevertheless, readers need not panic over the mistyped CLR_CMOS jumper positions because there are only two settings for the CLR_CMOS jumper; you can't go wrong in switching between the Normal Operation Mode and the CMOS Clearing Mode and it is not necessary for you to find out the actual pin numbers.

As for the removal of the CMOS battery, I did that to avoid draining of the CMOS battery during the CMOS clearing process due to grounding of the CMOS transistors. That is just a personal preference.

Steve, could you keep us informed of any clashes with BIOS and drivers in future Windows 10 update, please? In principle, the HP ENVY 20 TouchSmart All-In-One PC should function flawlessly and consistently after updating the BIOS and drivers; but who knows what could happen. Thanks!

Chris

HP Recommended
Nothing still. So disappointed in HP. 😞
HP Recommended

Tangels83,

What have you tried so far?  We can help you get your machine un-bricked, but only if you give us details about what you've tried as far as troubleshooting.

HP Recommended
I tried everything in this forum. Took the HD out and that works fine when connected to something else. The fans and all kick on fine, just got this black dcreen. The power light in back and on top come on. Just no picture. It happened about aweek after Windows 10 install. It seemed to have froze, had to hard power of a few times, finally worked for a few days, froze again but when I hard powered off, it only came on black. I'm not too tech savvy but I even had my brother in law look at it and he knows computers. Said it's almost as if power isn't getting to the monitor
HP Recommended

Did you try powering it on with the CLR_CMOS jumper removed?  That's what finally allowed mine to boot.

HP Recommended

Steve,

Some motherboards have only two pins for CLR_CMOS (e.g., Gigabyte's motherboards) whereas some have three pins to keep the jumper right there when needed.

Chris

HP Recommended

Chris,

Sorry, I wasn't aware that the HP Envy 20-d113w used more than one brand of motherboard.  This is the first one I've had to work on, and it probably won't be the last since the owner has another six of them as POS machines in his restaurant.

HP Recommended

Steve,

That was a general statement to highlight that some motherboards has a dummy pin just to hold the CLR_CMOS jumper. I thought that was unambiguous and didn't think that you will misunderstood that statement. Sorry.

Chris

HP Recommended
Please help. I have a touchsmart envy 20 experiencing black screen issues. I've tried everything. Even booting with no jumper. No battery. I get no power to USB at all upon boot so I can't use keyboard or flash drive to try and update bios or hit any hotkeys. Idk where to go next. Trying to fix this for my daughter and her mother said she recently upgraded to windows 10 so I think that is the culprit. She said one day recently it just turned off and wont go back on. I have the back off. I'm getting power. Fans spinning etc. Only thing that has changed now is that it seems to be in a boot loop or something. It keeps restarting itself every 20 seconds or so but still no screen. It has to be something simple to fix this. I'm hoping. Any help would be great. Ty
HP Recommended

d0eb0y,

Your symptoms were exactly like the ones I experienced on a customer's machine.  After an hour or so of attempting to clear the CMOS without luck, I began to go into 'f*ck it' mode since I couldn't make it any more dead than it already was.  I just started rebooting and moving the jumper back and forth between the two positions and then I took the jumper completely off and powered it on, and by some miracle it booted!  Don't lose faith yet!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.