cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
1 1 0 0
Message 121 of 144
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Envy 20 Black Screen On Startup

Thanks for the help!  I'm a relative novice for this stuff--didn't know what BIOS was,  and had never taken the back off a computer.  By following the instructions,  I managed to fix my Envy20 in less than the time it took me to watch the Redskins lose.  Only problem was it took me a while to find the pin to move,  because mine was black,  not blue.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
7 7 0 0
Message 122 of 144
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have never been so frustrated with a machine in my life!!! When the problem first happened i found the reset cmos instructions to get it to boot again and it worked! In the early set of instructions i read though nothing was stated about updating the bios right away and so i didnt.

Well within less than a day i was back to black screen on boot and now no matter what i do i cant repeat the steps to fix it like the first time. I have followed them to a t over and over again with the same result NOTHING! Ive left in unplugged over night, left  the jumper on clear overnight, tried with no jumper, took the battery out put it back in tried a handstand still nothing. Its like i broke it  worse by doing nothing. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
7 7 0 0
Message 123 of 144
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am having a similar issue with the HP Envy 20-d113w model. The device was working when I brought it home from a friends house but when I tried to power up at my house I get a black screen for about a minute and then it shuts off and powers back on and does it all over again. I took out the cmos battery, not sure if it has a battery other than that. I am unable to find the cmose jumpers, if anyone has a picture that would be great as im getting older and cant see small things very well anymore.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
7 7 0 0
Message 124 of 144
Flag Post
HP Recommended

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/imageServlet?DOCID=emr_na-c03305138-7/c03884382.jpg

I have the same exact model as you. The jumper pins are right next to the cmos battery only difference is our pins are black and not blue 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
7 7 0 0
Message 125 of 144
Flag Post
HP Recommended

the only thing is see is two black jumper covers and each jumper has 3 pins, am i looking at the correct one?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
7 7 0 0
Message 126 of 144
Flag Post
HP Recommended

yes the one closest to the battery is for reseting the cmos, move it from the 2-3 pos to the 1-2 position to reset

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
7 7 0 0
Message 127 of 144
Flag Post
HP Recommended

do i move both jumpers to the 1-2 position? the one on the left is in the 2-3 position and the one on the right is in the 1-2 position i believe
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
7 7 0 0
Message 128 of 144
Flag Post
HP Recommended

nope you only need to move the 2-3 to the 1-2 position

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
7 7 0 0
Message 129 of 144
Flag Post
HP Recommended

then to reset i need to turn the machine on?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
7 7 0 0
Message 130 of 144
Flag Post
HP Recommended

depends on who you ask lol some say you need to power on to clear some say just moving the jumper clear it.

these are the instructions most are following doesnt seem to work for everyone though credit to the other users that have posted this information

1. Unplug the machine

2. Press on power button for five to ten seconds

3. Move jumper to clear bios position and turn on power for 10 seconds.

4. Turn the power back off.

5. Press on power button for five to ten seconds.

6. Put jumper back to original position.

7. Power Back on and turn on.

0 Kudos
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation