Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion all in one Desk Top
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a new HP Pavilion all in one Desk Top, model HP - 510-PO51A W10, it is producing a constant humming noise .. I would like it to stop, can anyone offer hope 🙂

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Experiment: connect a set of PC speakers to the green "Audio Out"  socket. 

You don't need to turn them on.

That should turn-off the "internal" speakers.

Does the noise stop? 

If so, then the source of the noise was being fed through the internal speakers.

No idea how to fix the above, but it's an interesting experiment.

Another idea: turn it off, disconnect the AC power. 

Press the ON/OFF button, to drain any "residual" power.

Then, take a can of compressed air, and blow some air into the computer.

It could be some dust on the voltage transformer, causing an electrical "buzz".

HP Recommended

I am not so sure .. the HP Pavilion humming problem has been ongoing for years, according to the following post anyway.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/humming-noise-in-hp-pavilion-des...

HP Recommended

> I am not so sure ...

Well, did you try what I suggested?  Results?

What's the temperature in the room where the computer lives?

Is the computer placed "tight" to  a wall, or too close to the back of a computer-desk?

If so, then the fans inside the computer are working "hard", because the interior is "too warm",

and there's nowhere for the warm air to be pushed out of the case.

Hint: Google-search for "speccy free download".

Download and install SPECCY.

Run it to show the temperature of the motherboard,

the temperature of the CPU,

the RPM speed of each of the fans.

Get back to us, and tell us those numbers.

HP Recommended

"..tell us those numbers."

Numbers nuthin' ..

HP Pavilion making high pitched noise - Forums - CNET

When I turned on my HP Pavilion PC, a second later it started making this really high pitched noise and didn't stop.

HP Pavilion p6310y Desktop making a "revving" noise - TechSpot Forums

I'm at a loss as to what is producing the sound, or what to do about it.

HP Pavilion Elite m9340f pc Desktop makes a lot of noise

I have the same problem and I found out it was the fan of the video card cause the noise. Ton of users own this computer have the same problem, click the following link and see http://h30434.www3.hp.com/psg/board/message?board.id=HardwareDPC&thread.id=976&view=by_date_ascendin...

HP Desktop Noise Problem - YouTube

Uploaded on Oct 29, 2010

HP Pavilion a65552f Desktop purchased Sep 2008 at Futureshop with 2 yr Futureshop warranty, took it back one month after for noise problems. Was told the NVIDIA graphics card fan was vibrating, so they replaced it. It was replaced again a few months later. The card was replaced a third time since the NVIDIA 9500m was recalled for fan problems. I asked them to rplace CPU, case fans as well.

Everyday, the computer continued to buzz, vibrate, and make annoying sounds, since day 1. I would lean it at different angles to try and diagnose the source of the sound, since the fan replacements did not do the trick. To diagnose the problem, i tried once again to find the source of the vibrations: I had noticed it was coming from the hard drive and the hard drive slot. The hard drive slot virbrates constantly, and only stops when weight, say a stapler, is placed on top to prevent buzzing.

Overall, not impressed with this product. Other HP desktops in my family are experiencing similar problems, all purchased between 2007-2009.

Anyone can prevaricate ..

HP Recommended

> "..tell us those numbers."

> Numbers nuthin' ..

If you want help, please accept the advice:

Hint: Google-search for "speccy free download".

Download and install SPECCY.

Run it to show the temperature of the motherboard,

the temperature of the CPU,

the RPM speed of each of the fans.

Get back to us, and tell us those numbers.

> Anyone can prevaricate ..

Anyone can "shoot the messenger".

"Free advice is worth exactly what you paid for it."   😞

HP Recommended

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?q=HP+Pavilion%2C+Constant+Humming+Noise

The HP Support Forum has 70,294 pages and 700,000 listings all detailing noise problems with HP hardware, and you are on about "SPECCY" and numbers.

As though you are gonna sift thru the figures and make some sort of declaration .. the problem is ongoing and has been around for years, neither is SPECCY going to fix things.

The message I take home from here says "get used to it." 

Since I have had the HP hardware the quotations key on two separate keypads has been acting up .. I don't suppose you know anything about that either!

HP Recommended

Please remember that not *ALL* the people on this board are HP employees, and none of them are authorized to speak for HP.

> As though you are gonna sift thru the figures and make some sort of declaration ..

> the problem is ongoing and has been around for years, neither is SPECCY going to fix things.

Correct.  SPECCY is a *DIAGNOSTIC* tool to give a report about a PC's hardware, including the temperature of various components (disk drive, motherboard, CPU) and the speed of the internal fans.  It might be an "overheating" problem, and the motherboard is telling the fans to "spin faster" to try to dissipate the heat.  Of course, fast-spinning fans make more noise than slow-spinning fans.

Please use your smart-phone to record the sounds coming out of your computer, from "powered-off" status to fully-booted-and-ready status.  Attach that audio-file to your response, here.

> The message I take home from here says "get used to it." 

Maybe.  Maybe not.  Unless you "show me the numbers", you won't get a diagnosis.

> Since I have had the HP hardware the quotations key on two separate keypads has been acting up ..

Good description -- "acting up" -- please be much more descriptive.

> I don't suppose you know anything about that either!

Your supposition is wrong.  You probably should open a new topic for this entirely-different question.

Not all keyboards are identical (e.g., French, German, Nordic, Turkish).

Within "Settings", check "Regional Settings", and "Keyboards and Languages", to see if "English US" is the _ONLY_ keyboard that is active.

If your computer has multiple input languages available, you may be _unintentionally_ switching from one keyboard's layout to another.  The "non-alphabetic" keys on some of the "foreign" keyboards will produce characters like:

Ç ü é â ä à å ç ê ë è ï î ì Ä Å É æ Æ ô ö ò û ù ÿ Ö Ü ø £ Ø

Is that what you mean about "acting up" ?

HP Recommended

Since you all have been gracious enough to reply I will keep you updated as to what is going on ..

The tech who installed the new computer came back in response to the "humming" issue two days ago, he re positioned the CPU and re routed a couple of other things and the problem went away.

There was no need for SPECCY after all .. the system worked to specifications for the rest of that day and for all of yesterday.

When I switched on today the desktop icons had assumed gigantic proportions, and had migrated from their usual positions to one side of the compu screen, the text at the websites I use had similarly huge proportions.

So I jiggered with the controls for about half an hour and things returned to normalcy for a short time only, before the text size began to change again.

After rebooting things had returned to absolute normalcy as per shutdown yesterday, however as soon as I started to type this response the gaps between the desktop icons which had started off ok got bigger.

When I hit the upper case quotations key the quotation marks do not appear until I have hit another key, the same with the lower case apostrophe.

So we are not out of the woods by any means!

HP Recommended

SPECCY would have reported the "internal" temperatures of various components, including disk-drive, motherboard, CPU, and speed of fans.  Anything "out of range" is a cause for concern.

> When I switched on today the desktop icons had assumed gigantic proportions, and had migrated from their

> usual positions to one side of the screen, the text at the websites I use had similarly huge proportions.

My guess is that Windows Update was running, and was updating the device-driver software for the video-adapter inside your computer.  While updating, the screen-resolution was reduced to '640-by-480' pixels.  Since each desktop icon is drawn as 'X-by-Y' pixels, painting each icon on such a "low-resolution" screen causes each icon to fill more space on the screen.

Go into "Settings", and then "Windows Update", to see if a "restart is scheduled".

Like changing a car-tire, you may need to stop Windows to install the updated video-adapter device-driver software.

Or, right-mouse-click on the desktop, and reset the screen resolution (from 640-by-480) to the "optimal" settings.

> When I hit the upper case quotations key the quotation marks do not appear until I have hit another key, the same with the lower case apostrophe.

As I previously noted, Windows is capable of supporting "foreign" keyboards, which have a different placement of characters, and, in the case of the FRENCH keyboard, a different "input-method" for the French-language vowels, namely:

é â ä à å ç ê ë è 

To input each of the above, on a FRENCH keyboard, one first types the "apostrophe" key, and then types a vowel.

The cursor does not advance until you type the vowel, as you have noticed.

So, as before, go into "Regional Settings", and then "Language", and click on each "unwanted" language (and "input-method") until the only remaining one is "English-Canada" or "English-US". 

Or, if you wish to keep using those "alternate" keyboards, read from that "Language" page how to type a special key-combination to "switch keyboards" to cycle-through all the installed languages.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.