Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
I tested my M.2 SSD at another M.2 to SATA adapter, and it's works perfectly
HP Recommended

Thank you for your answer.

I have sent am email to a HP Repair Center and wait for the answer. I let you know if there is a solution.

A 128GB limit is not acceptable....

Yves

HP Recommended

Hello, everybody!

I also purchased this PC, but found this thread prior to buying m.2 ssd.

Here's what datasheet says:  M.2 PCIe solid state hard drive module

M.2 ssd come in two buses: cheapest use SATA logic, more expensive PCIe.

I order to use ssd in this PC you should check which type of ssd it is.

This can be done by comparing 'keys' on the ssd 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M.2#mediaviewer/File:M2_Edge_Connector_Keying.svg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M.2

HP Recommended

Hi,

M.2 devices come in two flavors: with a built in controller and without a built in controller.

M.2 devices with a built in controller will typically get recognized as a boot eligible device.  M.2 devices without a built in controller will require the use of the motherboard SATA controller.

I am using a 256GB Plextor M.2 device on a custom motherboard and it boots either with a PCI-E adapter card or from the M.2 slot.

The BIOS in your PC may have additional settings to prioritize the use of the M.2 slot and perhaps to enable/disable the M.2 slot.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

I believe kus2kus is correct in stating that the ProDesk 600 G1 desktop mini requires a m.2 SSD that's PCIe and not the SATA version. There is only 2 companies that I know of that offers m.2 PCIe SSDs. One is Samsung and the other is Plextor. Plextor's PCIe SSD is PCIe 2 lane version and Samsung is a PCIe 4 lane version. Plextor is m.2 b+m keyed and Samsung is m.2 m keyed.

HP Recommended

HP ProDesk 600 Desktop Mini G1 & HP EliteDesk 800 Desktop Mini G1

- tested and booting windows 10 without little trouble using

a Samsung 950 Pro M.2 NVM Express 256gb (model MZ-VKV256).

I did a clean install of Windows 10Pro on M.2 Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB.

Everything works great!

No problems with the installation.

It can work as the only storage in the PC.

! But you need either disable ‘Legacy Support’ setting

in the BIOS option 'Secure Boot Configuration'

or set to 'UEFI Only' in the BIOS option 'Storage Option ROMs'.

( Otherwise you'll see the notification 'Not bootable device' ).

For details:

HP Support Forum Home > Desktops, Monitors and All in One Computers > Workstations >

EliteDesk 800 G1 Mini - Can't boot from M.2 SSD

HP Recommended

Awesome, finally have a definitive answer and soloved the issue of the aberrant M.2 port!

I too purchased the Samsung SSD 850 EVO M.2 and have found it is not recognized even after installing Win10.  A ton of research revealed that M.2 DEVICES can only support ONE protocol/interface out of the three potential interfaces on the M.2 port (USB, SATA, PCIe), while motherboard M.2 ports can support multiple interfaces on a single port.  You can find more info at Kingston's M.2 FAQ vs. a simple wiki or forum dive.

After Dmitry54's post, I checked Samsung's page for the 850 & 950 SSD series and found the 850 is a SATA interface and the 950 is the PCIE interface.  Yes, finally an answer!

I remember reading in the product guide for the ProDesk 600 G1, it did indicate the M.2 was PCIe... I think.  Guess I'll check again or just pull the trigger, return the 850 and get the 950 instead.  Mystery solved!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.