Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
PresarioCQ5500F
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

My computer is now almost 6 years old and running out of memory.  I want to delete some HP Programs that I do not think are necessary, but I must know I will not do damage if I uninstall them:  HP Odometer, HP Update (which I never see/get) HP Support Info.  Can I delete these and regain some of my memory?

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi there, thanks for posting your question.

Before troubleshooting, please ensure you have properly backed up all of your files (including email, internet favourites, music, photos, movies, game save points and files containing your work).

Whist backing up you might notice a lot of files that you no longer use or need - they might be good candidates to remove from your hard drive (you have backed them up if you need to look at them again some day).

Another hint is to delete games or programs that you no longer use.  Say you have a Steam game loaded, but do not play anymore - try deleting it through 'add remove programs'.

The HP programs you mention would not use much HDD space at all, so you could leave them be.

I work for HP but my posts and replies are my own.

Trust this helps you!

regards davida
"Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP"
HP Recommended

Davita -

Thanks so much for info.  I know I need to back-u[ everything before I start deleting anything, but I don't even know how to do that.  I wanted to save all on the Flash Drive.

The HP programs on my computer are using too many GBs to suit me, I need to delete them.  Just must be certain that if

I uninstall them, I will not have any sort of resulting problems.

I have already cleaned up everything I care to let go.

Many thanks.

HP Recommended

Hi there,

I can understand that it is difficult to manage your PC if you do not have the know-how.  Since you are in this situation all I can suggest is to seek assistance from a trustworthy friend or family member.  Alternaively, you could reach out to your local council or library to seek courses or assistance from there.  Otherwise, there are private providers who provide training at a cost.  I note you say that already you have spent a lot of time and money on your PC.  I think that some basic PC course from your council (many come for free or at a very low cost) is your best long term strategy.  I'm always one for empowering the individual.

Otherwise, HP has a handy guide for backup here:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03270359

Good luck!

regards davida
HP Recommended

All I can do now is wait to see if someone knowledgeable will reply with a simple yes or no regarding the safety of removing the Programs I want to delete.

Many thanks.

HP Recommended

hi there,

Yes, you can safely remove those programs.  best of luck.

Before troubleshooting, please ensure you have properly backed up all of your files (including email, internet favourites, music, photos, movies, game save points and files containing your work).

regards davida
HP Recommended

I attempted to uninstall the programs I thought could go - but the system would NOT permit me to do so.  Stuck with too much space usage and there's nothing I can do about it, apparently.  Good ole HP!

Thanks so much for your willingness to help me, it has been greatly appreciated.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.