Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Where do I press or pry on the battery cover on the sk-2061 keyboard to get at the batteries?

18 REPLIES 18
HP Recommended

Stewdly, welcome to the forum.

I believe if you look on the back of the keyboard near the button where you push to connect it to the computer, there is a small cover with an arrow.  You should push on it away from the keyboard itself.  It should slide open.

Please click "Thumbs Up" if I have helped you and click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

Regarding an SK 2061, I found a possibly removable possible battery-hatch cover, near the blue connect button.  The cover runs horizontally along the middle of the 'top' (when the keyboard is held with function keys above the letter keys) of the back of the keyboard.  The cover has one marking - a slightly raised horizontal bar that is perhaps 1/5th as long as the cover.  Please tell me in which direction I need to move the hatch cover (possibly 'down' when the keyboard is held as noted above?) and how to move the hatch (as yet, pushng on the raised bar in the 'down' direction has not resulted in moving the hatch).

HP Recommended

i cannot remove the cover either...can anyone help...thanks

HP Recommended

Above, I wrote a question regarding 'knowing where the hatch cover is, but not be able to remove it."  So far, some not so good news.  I went to the Microsoft store from which I bought the computer (and keyboard).  I asked a staff person to open the hatch on a similar keyboard (that was on display).  That person knew which way the hatch should move, but could not open the hatch.  That person asked a colleague.  Same result.  A next colleague was - with difficulty - able to open the hatch.  One of those people said Fry's Electronics may sell a tool that would be helpful.  I don't have a specification for such a tool.  I did not go to Fry's to ask.

Subsequently, someone from HP called - to do customer-satisfaction follow up regarding my having tried to get help directly from HP.  That person said they would file a report regarding this problem.  That person also recommended I call "Executive Customer Relations" (1.800.756.0608 ext 7).  I did.  I tried to recommend HP recall the keyboards (think automobile-industry recall).  That person said (effectively) 'no.'  I asked what we or I should do.  That person promised to file a report.

So, no sufficient progress.  (I suppose, before or when the battery runs out, I could take the keyboard to the store and hopefully get someone to open the back.)

Anyone, help?

HP Recommended

I agree it is insanely too difficult to open. I use a very barbaric approach to opening it, a letter opener.

With keyboard setting in the normal operation position, rotate it towards you, leaving it resting on the table.

I used a letter opener as it was handy, but a butter knife, or flat had screw driver would also prove useful.

It doesn't take much pressure, but a good pop on the tiny lip protruding from the batter cover will remove it.

I think part of the problem is that the battery cover has about 8 secure points to keep it on the keyboard, which I think would help keep the compartment from wearing out over time when replacing batteries, but since there are not grip points, it is nearly impossible to remove the cover without force.

Hope this helps!

HP Recommended

Thanks.  I was afraid of breaking something.

I take you pry it towards the space bar end.

HP Recommended
Well I don't pry anything. On the battery compartment, there is a small thin lip in which I rest the tool on and then just give it a pop with my other hand. But yes the motion will take it towards the space bar.
HP Recommended

I have finally opened the battery cover following a suggestion from somebody on your forum. use a screwdriver against the horizontal bar and ease it towards the spacebar end. It jumped out of its socket. this piece of plastic has been over engineered and is extremely difficult to remove.

HP Recommended

Took the suggestion of using a screw driver to pry open the battery cover.   Now I cannot get it back on (some reassuring snap sounds but it just doesn't stay on.  I guess I could tape it.  By any twisted marketing idea, does HP sell battery cover tape?

And now another matter:  Is there some way to conserve battery power?  Since there is no on-off power switch for the wireless keyboard, will the batteries just run out?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.