Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Slimline 450-A24
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I purchase System Recovery software, close to a year ago. I nstall the software to a 512GB SSD, with all 296 updates. Then create a sytem image backup to a external drive.  Well I'm having annoying update issues. When I do a factory recover on a standard hard. Windows updates just does not work correctly. I try to do a clean install with Windows 8.1 ISO from mediacreationtool.exe but, it ask for product key code. I went to this web site for windows user: www.eightforums.com. Found on how get my OS information and got a odd easter egg. Is this verison of OS for surface laptop and ARM devices. Could this verison case issues with Windows 10 upgradeimg010.jpg 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

You posted the following. " When I do a factory recover on a standard hard. Windows updates just does not work correctly."

What exactly do you mean?

What does doing a recovery have to do with Windows updates?

A recovery installs the operating system.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

I have reinstalled my computer to factory settings today. Windows update found only three updates: KB2267602, KB3083669, KB3020370.

Today at 5:24 AM PST

Updates installed: Never

There are a total of 66 updates, 63 are preinstall by HP System Recovery Disk (5). It ran its scan for updates for 2 hours and stop. Its now in automatically update status. I have done all those windows update fixes in the past. With a small windows appearing " this program is not complainant to your system". I like to try something different in curing this problem with Windows Update.. I dare not try to use windows update troubleshooting, cause it does not help. it remove the time of last update to Never.  FYI KB2267602 is Defender Definition. This is the best place to find a cure, my compute is design by Hewlett-Packard.

Regards:  Redscarlett5

HP Recommended

A few of the things that would cause issues with updating to Windows 10 would be an unlicensed and unactivated  Windows 8.1 OS or lack of drivers for your desktop's motherboard for the Windows 10 OS. 

Is your Windows 8.1 operating system unactivated?

" I dare not try to use windows update troubleshooting, cause it does not help."  I am not meaning to insult you or to pick a fight with you. I find that what you posted is a somewhat peculiar thing to say. I have troubleshot Windows update problems successfully in the past.  If you think running a Microsoft  Fixit troubleshooter is a serious attempt to resolve windows update issues, then you are mistaken.

Start going to as many of the troubleshooting tutorials as possible. It may take some time to resolve the problem.

https://www.google.nl/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=windows+8.1+update+not+w...

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.