Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP XW8600
Other

I recently bought a motherboard for the HP xw8600 (FMB-0701)  and I can't get it to POST. Right now, the motherboard isn't grounded to the PSU case, (it's in a wooden case) there's a Xeon E5410 in each socket, a 4gb stick of PC2-5300F in XDIMM1, a GTX 280 in the first pcie2.0 slot, and a heatsink on each processor (not secured, just sitting there, no cpu fans either.) I have an EVGA 600B powering this system. There's no fans connected whatsoever, no front I/O connected, no front USB, no audio, no case speaker, nothing. All power connectors (24-pin, 8-pin, 6-pin) are filled, as well as the GTX 280's power connectors.

When powered, the green light on the motherboard come on. Jumping the power button pins (6 and 😎 doesn't do anything, niether does hotwiring the PSU.

Also, in the corner with the Sata and SAS ports, there's an unmarked set of two pins with a jumper on them. Not sure why, or if it even matters.

I need to know if there's anything else that has to be connected to the motherboard for it to POST, or if I just bought a dead motherboard. I'd like a definitive resolution before I throw money at more parts.

Thanks for reading.

28 REPLIES 28
HP Recommended

I would break it down to a simpler configuration first.

Is the memory module that you have installed guaranteed compatible memory, or did you just grab a stick from your box of memory modules?  A bad memory module will certainly keep a PC from going to the POST.  

The memory is supposed to be installed in pairs for the motherboard with only specific processors. That could be the problem as well.

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/HP---Compaq/xw8600

Take a look at the quickspecs sheet from HP. That should provide you with some insight.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/psg/attachments/psg/Business-PC-Workstation-POS/7091/1/xw8600%20QuickSpec...

Is that PCIe graphics adapter one that has legacy BIOS support or is it a modern UEFI GTX 280?  Nevermind. The GTX 280 came to market in 2011. There were no UEFI adapters in the market back then.

A modern UEFI graphics adapter, it will not work in the XW8600 mobo.

The XW8600 was a beast back in 2008, but UEFI graphics adapters were not even available.

The minimum PSU requirement for the GTX 280 is 550 Watts. See the specs at geforce.com at the link below.

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-280/specifications

You should try a low-power PCIe x16Gen2 card for now just to see if it will boot up to the POST.

There is an extensive setup and troubleshooting guide at the following URL. It is a pdf manual.

http://h20566.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?sp4ts.oid=3432827&docLocale=en_US&docId=emr_na-c01...

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

As for the memory, the listing promised compatiblity with the xw8600. It's a single hynix 4GB 2rx4 PC2-5300F-555-11 HYMP151F72CP4D3-Y5 AB. Though according to your specsheet, with 4GB sticks, only 4x4GB or 16x4GB are supported.

I don't have any other graphics cards to test this on. Sorry.

I found an old keyboard, pulled the led's out of it, and plugged them onto the front panel connector via jumpers. So now I have error codes. Tested with nothing on the board besides the cpu's and ram. 24-pin, 8-pin, and 6-pin plugs connected give me 4 flashes (Power failure). Testing with the 6-pin unplugged gives me 2 flashes (System fan error.) With this, should I assume that the board is dead?

HP Recommended

You can't really test it without a video card. You should be able to pick up a low lower pCIe x16 video card second hand at a steal.

That was HP's specsheet, not mine. 🙂

Do you have another PSU to connect to it?

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

The GTX 280 is the only card I have on hand, and have no budget for any others. Same with the Power Supply.

Error codes don't change with the card attached: 2 flashes without the 6-pin plug attached, and 4 flashes with the 6-pin plug attached.

HP Recommended

@Frost32 wrote:

The GTX 280 is the only card I have on hand, and have no budget for any others. Same with the Power Supply.

Error codes don't change with the card attached: 2 flashes without the 6-pin plug attached, and 4 flashes with the 6-pin plug attached.

I can't help you then.

AS I have already mentioned, the GTX 280 has a 550 Watt PSU requirement.

That could easily mean that you are currently damaging the motherboard because the GTX is trying to pull more power from the PSU than it is capable of providing.

You should probably consider putting this upgrade project on pause until you can afford to get a lower powered graphics card or a PSU with more power capability (550W).

HP Recommended

The EVGA 600B handles the GTX 280 and an overclocked QX9650, so I assumed that it could handle the xw8600.

Any specific wattage you'd recommend? I plan to upgrade to two X5470's and a more powerful GPU at some time.

HP Recommended

@Frost32 wrote:

The EVGA 600B handles the GTX 280 and an overclocked QX9650, so I assumed that it could handle the xw8600.

Any specific wattage you'd recommend? I plan to upgrade to two X5470's and a more powerful GPU at some time.

The PC I am typing this on has an ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula-Z mobo.  I have an OCZ 700W PSU in it.

A 700 Watt unit should be what you need. Corsair, Seasonic, or EVGA are some highly regarded brands in the PC enthusiast community. You will need at least two 6 or 8-pin PCIe connectors if you are considering upgrading to a more powerful GPU.

HP Recommended

I was looking at power supplies and did some more research. I found that the 6-pin connector on the motherboard is NOT a standard pci-e connector, but is proprietary. You wouldn't happen to have a pinout diagram for that, would you?

s-l1600.jpg

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, I do not have a block diagram for the motherboard.  

From what I have read, there is supposed to be a diagram on the inside if the XW8600 workstation's cover.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.