Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Z240 Tower
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just got a HP Z240 Tower with a 400W power supply, 32 GB of RAM and 512 GB M.2 SSD.  Is the GeForce GTX 970 Graphics card compatible?  My PCIe v3 x16 slot is available.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Greetings,

The 400 power supply could be an issue.

A stock GTX 970 lists a recommended 500 watt power supply.

You have to verify the 10.1 inch to 10.5 inch card will fit in your chassis.

You should have the required UEFI BIOS if the system is brand new and you have a PCIe x16 3.0 slot available on the system board.

Cheers!

HP Recommended

Thanks for your quick reply.  I'm not sure how to figure out if the GTX 970 500W power supply recommendation is an issue or if my power 400W supply is sufficient.  Does anyone have thoughts on how to figure that out?

HP Recommended

Hi,

The GTX 970 requires 145 watts on the 12+ volt rail.

Check the HP supplied 400 watt power supply for the total watts (amperage times 12 volts) it can produce on the 12+ volt rail.

Deduct any 12+ volt usage by all other installed components (CPU and other components) using the 12+ volt rail.

The difference is what's available to run a graphics card. There are also inherent power supply efficiencies that can adversely affect how much juice is available to power a high performance graphics card.

Try the 970 with the 400 watt PS. Maybe it will work.

Jay

HP Recommended

Jay,

Thanks for the answer.  Another novice question.  How do I figure out what is on the 12 volt rail on my motherboard?

Jason

HP Recommended

Hi.

Please refer to this handy Power Supply Unit Wattage and Rails Calculator.

Enter data as close to your system as possible.

The site will calculate power draw and then recommend the correct size power supply.

Jay

HP Recommended

Thanks.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.