Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Z620 Workstation (ENERGY ST
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi my usb 3 ports had  stopped working all of them front and back ports Can someone help me please? thanks.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

I assume you have tried a power reset of the Z620. i.e. shut down the Z620, remove the power lead and hold the Power on button for 15 seconds?

Can you see the USB ports in device manager?

Do you have HP Performance Advisor and HP Support Assistant installed?

When or how did the problem appear? After an upgrade or Windows update? Any other issues seen?

A little more info may help.

HP Z620 - Liquid Cooled E5-1680v2 @4.7GHz / 64GB Hynix PC3-14900R 1866MHz / GTX1080Ti FE 11GB / Quadro P2000 5GB / Samsung 256GB PCIe M.2 256GB AHCI / Passmark 9.0 Rating = 7147 / CPU 17461 / 2D 1019 / 3D 14464 / Mem 3153 / Disk 15451 / Single Threaded 2551
HP Recommended

device manager.PNG

dm2.PNG

Hi Brian

I have tried power reset but still the same

Yes i have HP Performance Advisor and HP Support Assistant installed

I have checked the bios to make sure all the usb ports are enabled

from window 7 i had upgraded to window 8, 8.1 and 10 but nothing worked and i'm back to window 7 again.

In devices manager i canot see usb 3?

Thanks.

HP Recommended

I assume everything was fine one minute then the USB 3.0 ports just stopped working?

Have you tried to re-install the Texas Instruments USB 3.0 xHCI Controller driver? (on the HP Z620 driver download page).

It might also be worth a try re-installing the other motherboard chipset drivers.

The only time I have had any issue with my Z620 USB 3.0 ports was when I bought the machine earlier this year,  the bottom-front USB port was physically damaged and caused random issues with other devices on the USB 3 ports on the rear. I ended up replacing the whole front USB assembly and no problems since. P.S. I knew the port was damaged and had priced the replacement part before the purchase.

Obviously, it would be better if it's down to a driver issue than a hardware problem.

HP Z620 - Liquid Cooled E5-1680v2 @4.7GHz / 64GB Hynix PC3-14900R 1866MHz / GTX1080Ti FE 11GB / Quadro P2000 5GB / Samsung 256GB PCIe M.2 256GB AHCI / Passmark 9.0 Rating = 7147 / CPU 17461 / 2D 1019 / 3D 14464 / Mem 3153 / Disk 15451 / Single Threaded 2551
HP Recommended

Hi thanks for getting back i had tried installing Texas Instruments USB 3.0 xHCI Controller but i am getting error its saying there is no controller installed it can't find the hardware. Thanks.

HP Recommended

Hi can you also send me the link to usb adapter? thanks.

HP Recommended

Your TI based USB3 drivers are missing, and it is not clear why.

A clean install from a "system builder" DVD will not have those drivers and so you have to add them on afterwards.  Make sure to get the ones from HP via the Z620 drivers sources.  I'm using the ones they have there now, for clean installs, and they have been working fine.  Don't get the drivers from another source.  I believe there are more than one TI based USB3 driver chipset, and you want the correct one from HP.

If, however, you have done a "restore" of your Z620 build from the HP media then those drivers would be rolled in by HP already.  Or if you are using your original HP install then how they got lost from Device Manager may never be known.

A quick install from the HP SoftPaq should fix this........ when you navigate to download that from the HP Z620 drivers google search you'll see a "Driver-Controller (2)" entry, and it will be in that folder.  Version 1.16.3.0 from 2014.  The installer is via SP65043, and it can tell if you are running 32- or 64 bit.

Try this:  http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/readIndex?sp4ts.oid=5225038

And this:

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=5225038&swItemId=wk_127880_1&swEnvOid=406...

HERE

Here is what the two drivers should look like once installed, and where they will be in Device Manager:

Z620 USB3 Drivers.jpg

HP Recommended

.... Oh, I forgot.... there also will be a Control Panel Programs and Features entry entitled TI USB 3.0 Host Controller Driver and mine is version 1.16.3

Check in that Control Panel.... that might be a place someone accidentally got to and uninstalled from with good intentions (but bad outcome).

For what it is worth, this same installer package is what I use when installing the HP "2x2" PCIe USB3 TI based card, which I have posted about here in the past.  If doing that remember to always properly power up the card with its supplemental power cable before loading drivers.  That way the the installer can see all of the card's hardware components during the install process.  Otherwise you'll end up with a mishmash.  That issue is not present for the on-motherboard TI USB3 chipset.... it gets its power in the Z620 directly from the motherboard it is soldered into.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.