Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have an HP pavillion p6000 desktop with windows 7 with an AMD Athlon II x4 635 processor. I recently downloaded C cleaner to clear up some space, and may have deleted something important. I went to reboot at a point, and my computer would get to the loading screen for windows, an then just reboot over and over. Running the startup repair did nothing, sat there for hours and hours. I accessed diagnostic tools in start up - it scanned my CPU and memory and they passed but the hardrive failed with these details :

Error Code: BIOHD-8

Error: A SMART test failed on the drive.

How can I resolve this issue?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi,

That's not a good news, the HDD is having big problem. Please do a HDD self test again:

1. Restart the computer.
2. Keep tapping the F10 key when the HP logo appears. This will take you to Bios Setup Utility.
3. Select the Diagnostic tab.
4. Select the "hard drive self test" option and press enter to perform the test.
   Note: This test may take up to 40 minutes or more.

Pass - The hard drive is not damaged.
Fail - the hard drive is damaged and may need to be replaced.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

I also had a biohd-8, smart test failed on hard drive. There were two recommendations:

1. Backup computer.

2. Call HP support.

I needed to backup my computer as I've never done it.  There was a command under the recommendations:

"Press any key to continue". Which I did and the screen went black. How can I restart windows so I can backup the computer? I'm much more concerned about saving crutial information than buying a new hard drive.

HP Pavillion Elite HPE-112y

HP Recommended

Hi,

Now, please reboot the machine again

(a) If ok, back everything up,

(b) If not ok, replace the HDD and rebuild your system. Hope you can recover data from the old HDD by put it into an external enclosure and use it as an external HDD. Worse case, you need professional services to recover data.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended
What if I don't have a diagnostics tab on the setup utility?
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.