Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

So has HP figured anything out yet yet?  My monitor is out of warranty and I just switched to a computer with an HDMI (only) port and I'm having problems.

HP Recommended

Hello, Aesir. I realize this thread is a bit old, but it would seem I am having the same problem that you were having. Apparently this moniter is very picky with the HDMI cables it wants to use. If it isn't too much trouble, could you tell me what kind of HDMI cable you used and where I'd be able to get one? I already bought two HDMI cables that didn't work and I'd rather not buy another one without knowing it works. Thanks.

HP Recommended

My problem was solved with a 6 ft Dynex cable, purchased at Best Buy.

HP Recommended

I just purchased a 6 foot Dynex cable from Amazon, so I guess we'll see if that works. Thanks.

HP Recommended

It worked! Thanks a bunch, mate!

HP Recommended
This works for PS3!!!!
HP Recommended
Bingo!! This is the simple little trick that worked. I too kept getting that notice to check the cable. I followed your instructions. Ensure no cables are connected to the monitor at this time.

1. Power off (unplug) the monitor.

2. Hold the power button for 30 seconds.

3. Connect the cable to the processor.

4. Connect the cable to the monitor.

5. Plug in the monitor.

6. Power up the monitor.

7. Go to the OSD (On screen display) and set it for HMDI.

The only thing I had to do after this was set the sharpness. It was set, I guess by default too soft. Sharper was perfect!

Voila! Within maybe two minutes, i went from very frustrated and wondering what I was doing wrong/did I have a defective something - cable, monitor, card, etc? Turns out this was the perfect solution and so very easy to fix.

Thank you so much for the information!!!
This works for my ps3
HP Recommended

I've tried this a couple of times to no avail.  Do you really mean to hold in the power button on the monitor for 30 seconds while the monitor is unplugged?  This seems counter-intuitive.  I tried it, but there is no change.  Are you sure the instructions are correct?

I tried using a DVI cable, which worked perfectly with my last HP monitor (which did not have HDMI input).  On the 2311xi, the image is awful, badly distorted and unusable.  I can't use VGA because my computer has no VGA output. 

Others have pointed out that this monitor is way too finicky with HDMI. Other than trying a new HDMI cable, does anyone have suggestions?  I'm very tired of going through the input sequence every time the computer wakes from sleep.

HP Recommended

Thank you BK207!  I read through every one of these emails and attempted each suggested "trick" multiple times. The only thing that worked for me was to try different HDMI cables borrowed from another friend today. The unmarked one did NOT work, but the 3 ft. one labeled "Dynex" brand worked instantly. I unhooked and retested both of them to make sure, because the concept is ridiculous to me, that only ONE brand of HDMI cable will work with this monitor. I got the same results. Let's hope the Dynex solution is a permanent one for me, before my warranty runs out.

Meanwhile, HP please do something about this problem. These threads are old and indicate you've been aware of the problem for some time. My 2311xi monitor was given to me brand new as a gift in Jan 2013, and it appears that the problem is still around.

HP Recommended

Wow this worked for me too...! I'm amazed...take a moment to read my reply everybody!

I have a pretty new HP ProBook 470 connected to a HP Pavilion 23xi and bought a longer HDMI (1.4) cable whereas the other one that worked fine just was too short.

All devices are HDMI  1.4 compatible and the cable is HDMI 1.4...now comes the strange part; 'Check Video Cable' message appears. I read this thread and someone suggested earlier to power down the monitor and then hold the power button for 30 seconds, I said to myself: "sure, like that's going to have any effect". While every other search was not helpful I tried these steps:

1.  Power off (unplug) the monitor.

2.  Hold the power button for 30 seconds.

3.  Connect the cable to the processor.

4.  Connect the cable to the monitor.

5.  Plug in the monitor.

6.  Power up the monitor.

7.  Go to the OSD (On screen display) and set it for HMDI. ( i already did this in advance)

and they really did work, please follow all the steps precisely and you will be up and running within 2 minutes.

I normally don't reply to forum threads after I found my solution, the leech that I am, but in this case I created a HP-forum account to let you all know that this very unlikely solution worked for me!

Hope this helps someone else in the future!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.