Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY Phoenix 810-160
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When the computer restarts I get a hard disk error:

Hard Disk 6 3F6

I have run the diagnostics from the pre-windows screen and it passes.  Not sure how to prevent this from happening again.

Which drive is Hard Disk 6?

How do I fix this issue?

Thanks,

Alex

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Probably the tiny mSATA cache drive.Read through the threads below.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Hard-drive-error-on-boot-HD6-3F6...

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems-and-Recovery/Disk-Error-Hard-Disk-6-3F6-SOLV...

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended

Thank you for the response.

I understand how to remove the SSD and that is not a problem and I will do that.

Next question:  

Since this has failed I would like to buy another SSD and install the operating system on this.  I never got a Windows Recovery disc/usb/download.  Can you help get me one so I can update my system.  Also how much space does the SSD need to be to just handle the Operating System?

Alex

HP Recommended

Your machine has software on it to create Recovery Media. however your OS is stated as Windows 10 so I assume you have upgraded from the original Windows 8.1? If so the ability to create Recovery Media is likely gone.

The machine can Not boot from a replacement for the failed mSATA. You could replace the boot drive with an SSD. Size required will depend on whether you will be using Recovery Media to reinstall Windows 8.1 or use the free tool from MS to create a Windows 10 installation dvd/usb.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.