Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I just completed the full factory reset and I still get the same error message on start up. So I guess that means it was hardware all along.  Where do I go from here? The PC is just out of warranty but the mobo was only replaced earlier this year after a HP bios update killed it.

HP Recommended

Hi again Worzel69,

It is good to hear back from you!

Since the error message has returned, and a hardware defect has been detected, you can either contact our technical support for your system's replacement options by clicking the link below to get the support number for your region.

www.hp.com/contacthp/

Alternatively, you can also order a system board by selecting one of the following vendors below:

https://www.google.com/search?q=717068-501&oq=717068-501&aqs=chrome..69i57.143476j0j7&sourceid=chrom...

Best Regards

MechPilot
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Hello Worzel69,

I am experiencing the exact same issue that you are referencing.  My computer is also about 15 months old.  Please tell me, did you resolve your issue? 

I too did all of the HP tests that all "passed".

I did have an HP update right before the issue happened...at least that is why my computer rebooted and ended up with this issue.

Thank you in advance for your reply.

HP Recommended

Finally "fixed" yesterday, about 10 weeks later (he said touching wood):

• I had to run one of the tests on loop for the diagnosis test to find the error and report a code (I paid for this myself at a local shop)
  • HP got me to run tests / provide error messages and mis-diagnosed as HD error
  • Local service rep turned up with HD and immediately realised that was not the issue
  • Real issue was Solid State Hard Drive.  Ordered a replacement from east coast - took a week to arrive
  • Turned out they had sent the wrong part, another week waiting for the right part
  • Turned up replaces SSHD and with 12 hours the main HD failed
  • Came back a week later to replace but did not, actually took away the whole tower
  • Came back another week later with a new HD installed (reverted to Windows 8 clean build of course)

Now I am having internet issues with speeds similiar to dial up which Telstra cannot troubleshoot so I cannot download software.  I am so over computers right now.

HP Recommended

Holy Moly!  Here we are a year later and I have the exact same problem with my HP Envy Phoenix 810-160 desktop.  1TB HDD and 16GB SSD.  Originally Windows 8 and upgraded with the "free" Windows 10 OS.

Returned after a 13 day trip and got the Hard Drive Error (3F0).  Diagnostics tests all passed multiple times.  After switching BIOS settings back to defaults, error changed to 3F6.  

Everytime I boot now I almost immediately get the blue window error (3F6). I hit F2 and go to diagnostics.  Skip that by exiting out...computer boots - but very slowly.  Thereafter works perfectly until I shut it down.  Takes a long few minutes to finally shut down (all lights out).  Computer is 30 months old.

My 16GB SSD DOES show up in Device Manager but NOT in Explorer.  In Windows 10 Disk Management, the SanDisk 16GB SSD shows up as Disk 2, Unknown, 14.9GB, Not Initialized and 14.91GB Unallocated.  I thought this was supposed to be the "fast" boot disk.  I'm afraid to "initialize" this SSD for fear that I might format it and lose what's on it.

Can you HELP?  Would you agree that the SSD is not operating as it should?  If it is the "boot disk" how is it that windows starts at all?  Would physically uninstalling the SSD help?

Thanks in advance, Bill

HP Recommended

That wasn't the end of it for me.  After yet another HD replacement the SSD failed 6 months later.  I must have had a dozen engineering calls to my house over the last few years and it would probably have been cheaper to throw the PC away and start again than suffer all the lost time / pay receiving those visits over the years.

Given both HD and SSD have both failed it seems to be they don't work well together.  I'd be tempted to remove the SSD and suffer the longer boot time in the hope of improving HD reliability.

I also now have an extremely thorough / regular back up routine!

HP Recommended

After hours of research, figured it out.  The 16GB tiny mSATA SSD drive mounted on the motherboard had failed.  This SSD acts as a cache to speed up boots, launching applications and other activities it "remembers" you have done before.  It is NOT the boot disc.  I tried to save it with MiniTool's Partition Wizard to no avail...so I opened up the case, took out one screw and removed the SSD.

Now everything works perfectly.  No errors and Windows 10 boots up and loads all required apps in under 2 minutes.  That 's fine with me.  I'm probably NOT going to replace the SSD.  Wish you the best, 

Bill

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.