Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Compaq Presario SR2030NX

Product #RJ036AA

S/N {Removed for privacy}

MB:  ASUS A8M2N-LA

Purchased:  Oct. 2006

New Video Card:  MSI N210-D512D2 GeForce 210 Video Card - 512MB, DDR2, PCI-Express 2.0 (x16), 1x DVI, 1x VGA, DirectX 10.1, Single-Slot

New:  480w Power Supply

ERROR:  NO SIGNAL on monitor and can’t reset BIOS to accept new video card in PCI slot

PROBLEM:  The user reports the monitor screen suddenly turned white with blue lines and eventually went blank.   On turn-on, screen says “No Signal” then goes blank.

Troubleshooting has included:

Attaching monitor with it’s cable to another PC – Monitor works

Attaching working monitor and cable to this PC – No Signal

There are no startup beeps, fans blow, lights work, no loose wires, no video.   I concluded the onboard video component failed .

Installed new PCI-ex video card and new 480w power supply and still get NO SIGNAL.   The new video card specs called for a minimum 350w power supply.  The fan on the new PCI-ex video card works.  Research on HP Support pages  indicates that the BIOS needs to be modified to change the video type from onboard to slot-type PCI.  Makes perfect sense to me, sounds like it might work.

How to reset the BIOS when you can’t see what you’re doing?

I've moved the jumpers to reset the CMOS but can't tell if it worked or not.  I've attempted a  couple blind BIOS resets, but I could be doing this for months. 

If I could determine the BIOS Version, I might be able to blindly reset the BIOS.  The Compaq “BIOS Setup Utility Information and Menu Options”  web page gives directions for BIOS version 6 or less and version 7 and greater – and the access steps and menus are very different,

QUESTIONS:   How do I determine the BIOS version.  Which key do I hit to access the BIOS (F1, F10, esc, Del)?  Which menu do I follow to reset the video type, then how do I save that and exit? 

Thanks for any help

GJB
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thanks Paul,

Didn't realize it was just a Regedit function - piece of cake.

GJB

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

Hi,

Let me say to start with, that with no video output, some of what I'm about to suggest is guess work.

1.  Tap away at f1 as soon as you press the power button - this should launch the Bios Menu.

2.  Press the right arrow One time - this should hopefully select the Advanced tab.

3.  Press the down arrow twice and hit Enter - this should open the sub-menu for the Primary Video Adapter.

4.  Press the down arrow One time and hit Enter - this should select the PCI-E option.

5.  Press f10 and hit Enter to save this setting.

Let me know :generic:

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

DP-K

Did that, no change.

GJB
HP Recommended

Hi,

Try the procedure shown in the link below to clear the CMOS.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00757470

Then try the procedure in my first step again, but modify the last step as follows.

5.  Press f10, press the down arrow one time and then hit enter.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Hi DP-K

I reset the CMOS and performed your steps 1-5 (twice) - No Change.

Do you think this could possible be BIOS Ver 7?

GJB
HP Recommended

Hi:

I didn't see that you removed the video card and tested the onboard video.

That model has onboard video.

What if you pull the video card and then perhaps you can do what you need to do in the BIOS, and then reinstall the video card.

Paul

HP Recommended

Hi Paul,

The initial problem was with the onboard video and the troubleshooting that I listed in my post was with the onboard video - which led me to buy a new PCI video card

I don't know what else I could do to test the onboard video, but would be happy to try any suggestions.

Thanks,

GJB
HP Recommended

Sorry, I guess I missed that.

I think there is nothing you are going to be able to do to get it to work. I think the motherboard died.

When you install a PCIe x16 card the video switching is automatic.

The PCI thing you are reading about is when you install a PCI 2.1 video card in the PCI slot, while retaining your onboard video.

I believe you can also continue to use your onboard video to run a second monitor.

You need to change the setting in the BIOS to allow the PCI video card to be the default video adapter.

A PCIe x 16 video card automatically disables the onboard video, and becomes the default video card.

Paul

HP Recommended

Paul,

I've read that the OS is coded to the mother board and that if you install a new mb you will need to reinstall the OS - I've never heard of such, it that true?

This is a friends PC.  They're already out of pocket  >$50 for a vga and psu.  Cheapest MB's i've seen are $70 on eBay and who knows if that will actually fix it?.  At what point does one pull the plug and consider this a $50 boat anchor and tell the people they to give it up and buy new?

GJB
HP Recommended

Hi:

I agree...Boat anchor.

That is an old PC, but since you upgraded the P/S and video, maybe...I dunno. Like you said there is no guarantee.

As for having to reinstall the OS...

Not true, but what is true is Microsoft says a new motherboard = a new PC, and you may have to reactivate Windows.

So what you need to do is to change the product key (you should be given the option to change the product key), and then you can enter the one off the COA sticker on the PC, and it should activate.

Paul

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.