Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion p6520f PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am looking to downgrade from Windows 10 (64-bit) back to Windows 7 Home Prem OA, which was orginally on the machine. Too much time has pasted for me to simple recover the old opperating system. When I go through the Microsoft website to obtain a legal copy of windows 7 with the product code on my computer, it gives me the message "ERROR The product key your entered appears to be for software pre-installed bt the device manufacturer. Please contact the device manufacturer for software recovery options." I have tried contacting HP but am unable to talk to a real person. I do understand the warrently is expired since 2011. What are my options now for downgrading my opperating system?

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

This is a place where the Recovery disk set that will restore the PC back to factory:

http://www.computersurgeons.com/p-22698-windows-7-64-bit-10nasumw608-recovery-kit-br347av-for-hp-pav...

It is the same as using the Recovery Manager from HP.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

What is the difference between this and using the factory reset button in settings/updates?

HP Recommended

Using the Recovery Disk set will put the PC back to factory settings with Windows 7 installed and activated.  I am not sure to what the "factory reset button in settings/updates?" actually will do but others have confirmed that the Recovery Manager no longer works with the F11 or F10 keys after the Windows 10 upgrade.  Most likely the reset buttom will only put Windows 10 back to new.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

I reckon that you have upgraded WIndows 7 Home Premium OA to Windows 10 (64-bit) through Microsoft 's Windows 10 Free Upgrade offer.  The original OS license is an OEM Activation by the factory.  Usually, HP offers an option to customers to create the Recovery Discs by themselves.

Since Microsoft no longer retails WIndows 7, you may wish to contact the nearest HP support center to purchase/obtain a copy of the Recovery Discs for your HP Pavilion p6520f PC.  Please refer to the following:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/bph07143

* If my post helped, please click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks.

* If my post solved your problem, please mark Accept As Solution.

* Although I am an HP Employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

I am an HP employee. Superbaby is always here to help.
HP Recommended

Hello

You can download a clean copy of Windows 7 Home Premium from Heidoc.

Chose Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 COEM as the correct version for your PC. Then select your language and 64 bit version.

You will have to burn Windows 7 .ISO file to DVD or use Microsoft Media creation tool to create a bootable USB stick.

You can then download drivers from HP for your PC here.

Please be aware that some HP programs will not be installed with this method. You may not have DVD player software or other HP installed programs.

This option would be good if you cannot get HP factory recovery discs or HP recovery USB stick.

Grzy

HP Recommended

> I am looking to downgrade from Windows 10 (64-bit) back to Windows 7 Home Prem OA, which was originally on the machine.

Why?  Please tell us what is not working for you under Windows 10.  Sticking with Windows 10 might be the "best" answer.

If you do switch, you will need to migrate your files/music/pictures/bookmarks/E-mail -- an intensive task, the first time that you do it.

Note that Microsoft will no longer support Windows 7 after January 2020 -- less than 3 years away.

So, at that time, you'll need to reinstall Windows 10 to run a "supported" operating system.

At that time, migrating your files/music/pictures/bookmarks/E-mail again will be an intensive task.

> I  do understand the warrently is expired since 2011.

So, your disk-drive was manufactured in 2010, making it SEVEN years old, and also "out-of-warranty".

Do you drive your automobile on worn-out, seven-year-old, tires?

Please think about replacing your disk-drive, before it "dies" spectacularly and unexpectedly -- like a "blown" automobile tire.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.