cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
J_Heikkinen
Level 2
21 19 0 3
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

How to get the Product Key for W8 pro working

HP Recommended
HP 3500
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

The problem:

Bought a HP 3500 pro desktop with W8pro/ downgraded to W7pro. Had a Samsung Evo 840 ssd installed and made as the boot disk. Stupidly, I did not have the recovery disks made. And yes, I know I should have made them.

The machine was fine for a while, until the SSD borked. Then I found out the 840-series does that rather regularly.

Figured that I just put another SSD in and reinstall the OS. But then I noticed the thing does not come with a Windows sticker?

Googling told me the windows product key is in the BIOS. OK, I found it with a bit of searching.

So, I downloaded the Windows 8.1 pro ISO, put it on an USB-stick. Booted up just fine. Then it asked for the windows product key for the installation. I entered the one from the BIOS. Did not work.

So where do I get the working product key for the new OS installation?

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
129,135 119,312 19,484 29,775
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended
0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation