Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Compaq 6000
Microsoft Windows XP

Hi, want to upgrade my HPCompaq 6000 PC  OS from Windows XP Professional to Windows 7 as my F-Secure antivirus (SAFE) will no longer work on my system. F-Secure suggest that I upgrade my OS to Windows 7.

Thanks.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

> I want to upgrade my HPCompaq 6000 PC  OS from Windows XP Professional to Windows 7.

First, if you purchased a computer with Windows XP, you have a very-old computer.

See: https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet

Windows Vista became available on January 30, 2007.

Thus, it's likely that you purchased your computer between April 2004 and February 2007.

So, your computer hardware, especially the disk-drive, is at least TEN years old.

Compare it to a ten-year-old automobile, with ten-year-old tires.

I recommend that you "responsibly recycle" both the computer and the automobile, rather than spending over $100 on a legitimate copy of Microsoft Windows, $100 on a new disk-drive, or $400 on a set of tires.

Second, the end of retail sales of Windows 7 Professional was October 31, 2013.

Unless you can find a small "owner/operator" computer-store that has a copy collecting dust, it's not an option.

Third, see:  www.BestBuy.com   and search for "refurbished desktop computer".

For under $200 US, you can get a computer, much newer & faster than yours, with Windows 10 included.

(A copy of Windows 10, by itself, is over $100 US.)

Bottom line: don't try to "upgrade" it -- just replace it.

HP Recommended

Hi, @Patlar :

If you have a HP 6000 Pro business desktop PC, and you live in the USA/Canada, call HP and order a set of W7 recovery disks.   Have the PC's serial number handy to give to the customer services rep.

1-800-334-5144

HP Recommended

Hi,

You could buy a windows 7 product key online for very cheap (ebay or other) and then download an updated version of the iso directly from Microsoft. You can create a bootable DVD or pendrive from this iso.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7

This way you will have a clean version of windows 7 on computer. Boot from the DVD (by changing boot order in Bios) and follow the instructions. Perform custom install so that you can eliminate all partitions of hard drive and install in unallocated space. You will loose all personal files on PC, so back up before installing.

Once you have installed the OS you can get all the drivers from HP support page for your model. You did not specify the exact model of your PC.

PC Small Form Factor HP Compaq 6000 Pro HP Compaq 6000 Pro All-in-One HP Compaq 6000 Pro Microtower PC

Hope it helps,

David

HP Recommended

> You could buy a windows 7 product key online for very cheap (ebay or other) ...

This is not legal, according to the Microsoft license terms that were agreed-to by the original owner of that Windows 7 software (and license-key).  When the original hardware "dies", then the license to run that copy of Windows dies with it.

HP Recommended

@mdklassen

Once again I would like to know where you get your information from. I can make a few points.

- First many online stores (even ebay where there are stores registered) sell new copies of Windows 7.

- I believe what you are talking about is OEM copies and copies already preinstalled on the PC. (for which you will not be able to download a copy from Microsoft even with product key).

- Retail copies can be sold or transfered from original owner to a third party. (once)

- Maybe you have never come across a retail version of Windows?

I hope this helps,

David

HP Recommended

Hi MdKlassen (Distinguished Professor),

Thank you for your prompt reply to my query re my HP Compaq  6000 Pro Mini tower. Your suggestions got me thinking. When did I purchase the machine? I purchased it on 3rd November, 2010 and it came with Windows 7 loaded as the OS with the option to downgrade to Windows XP Professional. I downgraded to Windows XP as I was very familiar with that OS at the time. However I have the 3 disks for the Windows 7 Upgrade and they have never been used . Your suggestions on how to carry out the restore would be much appreciated. I'm aware of the need to back up files etc. Suggestions on how to replace and download drivers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again for your time and interest in attending to my query and continued success in your valuable work.

Regards,

Pat Farrell.

HP Recommended

> Once again I would like to know where you get your information from.

From Microsoft:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Useterms/Retail/Windows/10/UseTerms_Retail_Windows_10_English.htm

The following applies to Windows 10, but one can easily infer that similar wording is in effect for earlier versions of Windows.

4a. Software preinstalled on device. If you acquired the software preinstalled on a device (and also if you upgraded from software preinstalled on a device), you may transfer the license to use the software directly to another user, only with the licensed device. The transfer must include the software and, if provided with the device, an authentic Windows label including the product key. Before any permitted transfer, the other party must agree that this agreement applies to the transfer and use of the software.

Thus, buying ONLY a product-key (from eBay or elsewhere) without also buying the device, is not permitted.

First many online stores (even ebay where there are stores registered) sell new copies of Windows 7.

Yes, there is no ban on stores selling from their existing inventory of Windows 7, even beyond the date that Microsoft stopped directly selling from their inventory.

- I believe what you are talking about is OEM copies and copies already preinstalled on the PC. (for which you will not be able to download a copy from Microsoft even with product key).

No, you are incorrect.  The above Microsoft web-site refers to both OEM and retail licensing.

- Retail copies can be sold or transfered from original owner to a third party. (once)

Yes, read the that Microsoft web-site -- both the device & the license must be transferred.

4b. Stand-alone software. If you acquired the software as stand-alone software (and also if you upgraded from software you acquired as stand-alone software), you may transfer the software to another device that belongs to you. You may also transfer the software to a device owned by someone else if (i) you are the first licensed user of the software and (ii) the new user agrees to the terms of this agreement.

- Maybe you have never come across a retail version of Windows?

No, your presumption is incorrect.

HP Recommended

>  I purchased it on 3rd November, 2010

So, the computer's disk-drive is over 6 years old -- I recommend that it be replaced, before it fails.

Remember that the original warranty on it was probably one or two years.

Like automobile tires of the same vintage, it should be "proactively" replaced.

it came with Windows 7 loaded as the OS with the option to downgrade to Windows XP Professional.

> I have the 3 disks for the Windows 7 Upgrade and they have never been used .

There is an important point.  The 3 disks you have should work to do a "clean" install of Windows 7, because that software was originally installed at the factory.

I speculate that the disks are not meant to "upgrade" an existing installation of Windows.

Microsoft does recommend a "clean" install, not an "upgrade" install, from Windows XP to Windows 7.

> Your suggestions on how to carry out the restore would be much appreciated.

0. Take an "inventory" of which third-party programs that you have installed, e.g., Adobe Reader, so that you can (much later) download the current versions.

1. Buy a new disk-drive.  Probably faster and larger capacity than the original disk-drive.  :generic:

2. Temporarily remove (or at least disconnect the power and data cables) the existing disk-drive.

3. Connect the new disk-drive.

4. Turn on the computer, and quickly insert the first of the 3 disks into the optical drive.

5. Read the on-screen instructions, such as "press <blah> to change boot order", to force the computer to boot from the media in the optical drive.

6. Install Windows.

7. Run Windows Update, repeatedly.

8. Install anti-virus software.  Don't access any web-sites until the anti-virus software is fully active.

9. Shutdown the computer, and disconnect the AC power.

10. Reconnect the original disk-drive.

11. Turn the computer on, and enter BIOS SETUP.  Configure the computer to boot from the "new" disk-drive, not the "old" disk-drive.

12. Start Windows, and let it detect the "old" disk-drive as a "slave" (to the "master") disk-drive.

> I'm aware of the need to back up files etc.

13. Copy all your personal files, bookmarks, and E-mail from "old" to "new".

As a "bonus", the newly-installed anti-virus software will scan each file, during the copy process.

> Suggestions on how to replace and download drivers would be greatly appreciated.

14. Since those 3 disks were customized for your computer, the correct device-drivers will be preloaded.

Probably, the "HP Support Assistant" will have been installed. 

Run it, to let it download & install any updated device-drivers directly from the HP web-site.

15. Refer to "step #0".  Select from that "inventory", and install the ones that you still need.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.