Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Pav HPE h8-1300z
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I recently had to reformat my HDD using my HP OEM Recovery Disks. Now when I go into Device Manager there is no listing for the IDE ATA/ATAPI Controller. There are no UNKNOWN devices and there are no OTHER devices listed eliminating that question. I have a feeling that I may need to re-flash my BIOS but there are no listings for that software installer in the support for my PC it only shows a BIOS for another MoBo. I was hoping the Recovery Disks would have an option to re-install drivers but it seems that it will only do a comeplete OS Re-Install. 

Is there a way I can install the IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers without having to do a complete OS re-install????

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Your motherboard has a SATA controller and connectors. There are no IDE connectors on the Angelica2 motherboard.

Specs for your PC

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Pavilion-HPE-h8-Desktop-PC-series/5258496/model/5261714/produ...

Angelica2.png

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Your motherboard has a SATA controller and connectors. There are no IDE connectors on the Angelica2 motherboard.

Specs for your PC

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Pavilion-HPE-h8-Desktop-PC-series/5258496/model/5261714/produ...

Angelica2.png

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Thanks Erico for your photo. What I was referring to was the fact that it was not listed in Device Manager and I found the reason was I was booted into RAID mode in BIOS by default;  by changing the boot to AHCI (after I changed the registry files to correspond) I now see the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers listed in Device Manager just under the Human interface Device listing and above Keyboards. When in RAID mode the corresponding controllers are listed as Storage Controllers just below Sound and above Storage Volume and when in AHCI mode they're listed as shown above.

I found by booting in RAID that a Windows7 OS would not take the install and it shows IDE ATA/ATAPI drivers missing which have to be present to continue the install when you want just a clean install of windows from an .ISO or disk. The HP Recovery Disks on the other hand  will. I have an out of warranty desktop and wanted to forgo the bloatware.

BTW your photo that highlights the SATA connectors are showing pci-e slots for other controllers the SATA port/connectors are on the opposite side in light blue, darker blue, yellow and white with two more (reddish brown and black) just to the right of the four. So whoever said your post was a solution might need to take a closer look. Nice try though.  : ` }

HP Recommended

Is that the motherboard that is in your system?

Ahh. Ok. you meant the controller devices section in the device manager. If you had stated it that way I would have gotten what you meant.

I am pleased to see that you have it sorted.

HP Recommended

Now when I go into Device Manager there is no listing for the IDE ATA/ATAPI Controller. There are no UNKNOWN devices and there are no OTHER devices listed eliminating that question.

again thanks erico  the line above is how it was stated sorry for the confusion, I asked that it was missing not where is it. and yes that is the correct MoBo and what you have highlighted are the mini-Pci-e slots for your future reference.

HP Recommended

Yikes! I sure did highlight the wrong slots. :smileyembarrassed: Thanks for catching it.

The SATA connectors are to the right side.

I will correct the image for others viewing this thread. Image replaced.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.