Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Envy Desk top 750-116
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My PC would not boot up. it would show a recovery blue screen stating tha: Boot configuration data for pc is missing. called Hp and they fixed the problem, prior to that I was able to back up my data. Now that I have my pc back, I wonder if I restore these data back into my pc, would I be restoring corrupted data into my PC? is it safe to use it? not sure, help.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi! @Francis25, Thanks for stopping by HP forums!

I understand that you need to know if you restore the backed up data would be restoring the corrupted files.

Don't worry I'd like to help.

If the computer was infected with virus or malware previously.

Restoring the files would certainly infect the files to your PC.

So I would suggest you install antivirus before restoring the files to your PC.

Connect the external drive or flash drive that contains data run the antivirus and then restore the files.

Hope this answers your query!

Cheers! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, Mr. Robot and thank you for your reply to my question. my pc was not infected by a virus and I do have an anti-virus installed. my original problem was that a "Boot configuration data" was missing and my pc would not start. after being serviced by HP; if I restore my data, would I be restoring it with the same problem (Boot Configuration Data missing)? or can I choose what data to restore?. Thanks

HP Recommended

@Francis25, thanks for the response.

As you mentioned you were getting boot configuration data missing error on your PC.

It looks like some of the registry files on your PC got corrupted due to which were unable to boot into your PC and keep getting the error.

By default windows 10 has windows defender which should help by avoiding virus or malware enter into your PC.

Refer this article from Microsoft to know more information about windows defender.

Let me know if this helps!

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello again, after following your advise to scan my backed up data, i proceeded to restore it. Now my pc states that the

HP recovery manager failed, error code: FFFFFF18. the following files are missing in my pc:

BurnLibrary.dll

File browser.dll

HP file manager.dll

would you please tell me how to install these files into my pc? thank you

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply and scanning your computer. Recommend you to run system file checker to fix the issues on the computer. Click here for assistance. Though the article is for Windows 7, Vista and XP. The procedure is the same for Windows 8 and 10 as well. 

If the issue persists, you would need to perform a recovery on your computer to fix the issue. Click here to know more. 

Keep me posted. 

Please click ‘Accepted Solution’ on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the ‘Thumbs Up’ Icon below.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello again, as you recommended i ran a system file check and it passed, windows resource protection did not find any integrity violation. you also suggested to do a Recovery; however, isnt it ironic that I have to do a recovery on a pc that just came back from HP service department?. please help me, I really want my data back.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.