Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion P7-1027c
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

Hello everyone,

I have a desktop HP Paviliion P7-1027c, with Windows 8 and BIOS v7.13

Suddenly USB keyboard and mouse are not working when the Windows is loaded.

However during the bootup sequence I can access the BIOS menu via the Esc key.

I have made a few research and it looks like this could be a BIOS issue, however I can not upgrade the latest BIOS available to this PC.

I have downloaded the file sp56122.exe fro HP which contains teh latest BIOS for this Desktop.

However I can not update it as I don't get far enough on windows. The welcome page is presented but I can not type anything or move the mouse.

So I have two questions

1. Can the BIOS 7.13 be upgraded via a bootable CD?

2. Is there anyother set or parameter on the BIOS that can help?

Thanks in advance,

Mauricio

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @Mauro2000,

Thanks for stopping by the HP Support Forums! Smiley Happy Good day. Smiley Happy I understand that the computer’s keyboard and mouse don’t function in windows.  It will be a genuine pleasure to assist you here. Smiley Happy

You are a valued HP customer and we appreciate you greatly for doing business with HP. I have reviewed the situation and it is paramount that we address your issue. Thank you for giving us the privilege to assist you on this platform. Smiley Happy You’ve done awesome troubleshooting and brilliant diagnosis and I am amazed  your technical expertise. It is a genuine pleasure to work with tech-savvy and very competent customers like you. Smiley Happy

First off, for better clarity and to assist you better, I would require more information regarding this.

• To answer your questions, Yes the bios can be updated via a USB flash drive also.
  • The answer to the second question would be to load bios defaults.
  • When did this begin?
  • Have you tried connecting a different  USB keyboard and Mouse and check?
  • Have you tried this keyboard and mouse on a different computer if possible?
  • Did any specific software update or app update cause this situation?
  • We need to isolate the issue to being hardware or software related.

Please perform a hard reset first.  Link: http://support.hp.com/za-en/document/c01463028

First, we need to establish if the computer hardware is fully functional.

After doing a hard reset. Please run complete system diagnostics from this link: http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Pavilion-p7-Desktop-PC-series/5080737/model/5110105/document/...

Please run complete system diagnostics to isolate the issue. If all the tests pass then it is possible that there is nothing wrong with the bios, keyboard or mouse. Please make a note of any failure code that may get displayed for failed components.

Then if the issue is software related, you could first try a system restore to an earlier time before the issue started. Link: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01835735 This is for the original operating system of your computer. (Windows 7). Select the option from recovery manager (“Using System Restore when Windows 7 cannot start normally”) to try to perform a recovery if the recovery partition is available after the windows 8 upgrade.

As a last resort, you could also restore your computer to factory settings:  http://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c01867418

Hope this helps. Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. Smiley Happy Please reach out for any issues and I'll be there to assist you.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. Smiley Happy

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. Smiley Happy

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello David,

Thank you for your response. Here what I have done so far.

- Tested with BIOS defaults, I was also able to install the latest BIOS but it did not make any difference.

- When did this begin? A month ago it failed but then it recover after a few reboots, then the problem became more critical, at this point the only way the keyboard is respnding is once on the BIOS settings, once the Windows Welcome Screen is presented, nothing works, neither the mouse or keyboard.

- I have tested with all the USB ports (front/back) and also with a different keyboard. No difference.

- Did any specific software update or app update cause this situation?  Not that I am aware. Windows updates are disabled.

- We need to isolate the issue to being hardware or software related.   Agreed

Hard reset tested, same issue.

For the system diagnostics, I am having a hard time with this, I downloaded the executable (sp56288.exe) and I try running on my other PC, seems to run OK but I  never know where are the files located to burn my CD. I never got prompted on where to extract the files.

Keep in mind this is a windows 8, the diagnostic lnk is for windows 7, even thou I ran it from a different windows 7 machine.

- Finally , I ran the Diagnostics from the BIOS, here the result:

HP Vision Hardware Dianostics v1.02

Product: p7-1027c

Testing:

CPU Test - Passed

Hard Drive Connection test - Passed

Boot Test - Failed Error Code - 3F0

Warning: No Active Partitions

Suggestion: Please perform a System Recovery

Suggestion: Please Contact HP Support

Memory Test - Passed

Not sure why is reporting no active partitions if the system boots until the windows welcome screen is presented..

HP Recommended

Hi @Mauro2000

Thanks for the reply.

I recommend you to check if the filter keys are turned on. If filter keys feature is turned on it will not allow you to use the keyboard once the windows is loaded.

Follow below steps to turn filter keys off.

a)       Press “Windows Logo” + “U” keys on the keyboard to open the “Ease of Access Center”.

b)       Now, click on the link “Make the keyboard easier to use

c)       Under the section “Turn on Filter Keys”, click on the link “Set up Filter Keys”.

d)       In the “Set up Filter Keys” screen, under the section “Filter Options”, select the option “Turn on Repeat Keys and Slow Keys”.

e)       Then click on the link “Set up Repeat Keys and Slow Keys”.

f)        In the “Set up Repeat Keys and Slow Keys” screen, under the section “Avoid accidental keystrokes” set the value for “How long do you want to hold down a key before you accepts the keystroke?” to “0.0 seconds”.

g)       Click on “Apply” and then “OK” three times.

I also see from the hardware diagnostic results that the hard drive test failed with error 3F0. It seems that the hard drive has errors and it is recommended to replace it.

I suggested you contact phone support to check the available service options for your computer.

Follow the below steps to contact phone support.

Step 1. Open link:  www.hp.com/contacthp/
Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect
Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your
contact options"
Step 4. Scroll down and click on HP contact options - click on Get phone
number

Let me know how it goes! Looking forward to your reply.

Take care. Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.