Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Hp pavilion 500
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
When I turn on my pc my mouse and keyboard works for 10secs then turns off and does not come back on
7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hello, @Jazz175 – Hope you are well 🙂

Thanks for reaching out! I’d like to help!

I see that you are having issues with the HP desktop keyboard and mouse. To assist you better, I need to know the following details:

1) What is the complete product number or model number of your HP product? If unsure, please check: http://hp.care/2oPCMBG

2) How are the Keyboard and mouse connected to your PC? Is it wireless or via cable?

Let’s start to diagnose the issue by updating the desktop drivers. Try the steps below to update the keyboard drivers:

• In Windows, search for and open Device Manager.
  • Click View and select Show Hidden Devices.
  • Click the arrow next to Keyboards, right-click the keyboard device name, then select Uninstall to remove the device from Windows.
  • Continue removing device names in the Keyboards category until all device names have been uninstalled.
  • Now, expand Mice and other pointing devices.
  • Right-click and uninstall the mouse drivers as well.
  • Restart the desktop. windows will reinstall the default drivers automatically within 2-3 minutes. Try using the devices now.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance please reply with the details requested.

Thank you and have a great day!

Cheers 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

they are both wired and my product number is F6J99EA#ABU and i cant use my mouse or keyboard so i cant go on device manager 

HP Recommended

Hello, @Jazz175

Thanks for the update!

Can you try the keyboard and mouse on a different PC? This will help us further isolate the issue. If that works, try to plug the keyboard into a different port on your desktop and check.

Also, restart the PC and immediately start tapping "Esc" key and see if the PC booting to the startup menu. Let me know if it does boot to the startup menu.

If the PC is not booting to the startup menu, then please contact the phone support for further options.

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: http://h22207.www2.hp.com/us-en/?openCLC=true

(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.

(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.

(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

Let me know how that goes!

Good luck 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

i have tried my keyboard and mouse on my laptop and they both work and when i open up the bios setting they both work aswell and in the startup menu

HP Recommended

Hello, @Jazz175

So you are able to use the Keyboard on the startup screen. Well, that means that the issue is with the Windows drivers on your PC.

When did this first started? Was there any recent software change made? That might have caused the issue.

Let's first try a keyboard test as suggested below:

1)      Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.

2)      Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc to get the Startup menu. Now press F2 key.

3)      The HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu is displayed.

4)      Select the "Component test" and then select "Keyboard" from the list.

If the test is passed, then, try these steps to fix the issue:

1. System Restore

If the issue started happening after a recent update, then you might be able to restore the system to a point before. System Restore automatically creates restore points, a memory of the system files and settings on the computer at a particular point in time. Then, when you use System Restore to restore your computer to a point in time before an issue began, System Restore returns your computer to the files and settings from the restore point. Your personal files and documents are not affected.

Go to http://hp.care/2bS4d95 and follow the steps under “Restore your computer when Windows cannot start normally”.

2. System Recovery

System recovery is the last step to troubleshoot this issue. This option reformats the system drive (usually C:), reinstalls the original operating system and reinstalls all the original hardware drivers and software. All you save files will be lost and your computer will be formatted to the day you purchased the machine.

Go to http://hp.care/2d8t85o and follow the steps under "​​​​​​​Recovery when Windows 10 does not start correctly" to perform the recovery.

That should do the trick! Let me know!

Have a great day 🙂

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

the component test failed

HP Recommended

@Jazz175

Hi,

as @Dvortex is out of the office today I'm replying to you. I have read your post comprehensively.

If the component test has failed on the keyboard then I suggest you to reach out to our HP phone support to explore the hardware service options for your HP computer.  

Please feel free to let me know if you have any questions. Good luck!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.