Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Z440
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi there,

I'm trying to load Windows 10 from a USB 3.0 without success. It boots from the USB and you go through some initial Windows screen for setup, but when you get to 'Which type of installation do you want' you get two options as follows

1. Upgrade: Install Windows and keep files, setting and applications

and

2. Custom: Install windowsonly (Advanced). 

If you press the first option 1 you get a Compaitbility report telling you you should remove the USB drive Windows Installation Media and restart the computer so windows will restart normally. Then reinsert the media to upgrade.

windows is not installed on the Z440, only a light weight dos shell

If you select option 2, there is not formatted drive to select from to install Windows onto. The options for New and Format are greyed out.

I also tried to run Partition Mangic 8.0 from an external harddrive to format the drive however the Z440 wouldn't recognise the cd and I'm getting a message 'Non-system disk or disk error. Replace and strike any key when ready'.

How do I get Windows 10 onto the Z440 workstation?

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

While not necessarily the cause, but I have read that Windows 10 on a USB 3.0 sometimes does not work.  Use a USB 2.0 stick and port and try the install again.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

I copied the USB 3.0 Windows files to a USB 2.0 memory stick and tried that. However it doesn't seem to boot from it saying missing operating system.

I did use a Windows XP PC to do the copy, will that have an impact?

HP Recommended

Hello StevoK

I can think of a couple of possible causes for this. Firt off, you will have to do a Custom clean install.

1. You have an M.2 SSD PCIE 3x4 not properly configured in BIOS. Windows 10 can't see the drive. Since your running DOS this is unlikely happening.

2. The existing HDD or SATA SSD is formatted as MBR but you are booting to the USB using UEFI GPT or vice versa. Windows installer may not see the drive. Either start with a wiped HDD or format the drive using GPT. Then boot the Win 10 install media using UEFI boot source so you can use GPT.

I am not following your last statement,... I also tried to run Partition Mangic 8.0 from an external harddrive to format the drive however the Z440 wouldn't recognise the cd and I'm getting a message 'Non-system disk or disk error. Replace and strike any key when ready'

Are you saying you can't boot to an optical disc also or the system drive is AWOL? Check HDD connections or try a different HDD/SSD.

Grzy

HP Recommended

I also noticed that if I attempt to load from the purchases Windows 10 USB 3.0 as described before and then I attempt to repair and use the dos window in the repair and do a listing I can see the USB stick contents on drive X (Administrator). If I do a listing on the C drive the same files are there, however If I attempt to create a file (echo test > temp.txt) then it says its write protected. I'd assume the C drive isn't actually on hard drive yet.

Doesn't this ring true with the original post were I couldn't see a C drive or create one to progress the loading of Windows (Setup Option 2). 

HP Recommended

I think you maybe right as I'd expect the system to at least see drives.

How do I select I format the drive using GPT?

When I tried to boot from a USB connected portable optical drive with Partition Magic it doesn't boot from the CD.

HP Recommended

Hello StevoK

You should be able to use Partition Magic to partition the drive as either MBR or GPT.

Or wipe the drive and let Windows 10 installation media partition and format the drive.

Is the drive encrypted? I can't see any reason why Windows 10 can't detect the drive if you boot to the Windows 10 installation media with the correct partitioning parameters.

Can you see the HDD and optical drive in BIOS?

Not being able to boot to a USB optical drive suggests something else is going on. Maybe try HP diagnostics to check for component failures. Reset BIOS to defaults or clear CMOS.

Grzy

HP Recommended

Sorry did not see the post concerning this:  "I copied the USB 3.0 Windows files to a USB 2.0 memory stick and tried that. However it doesn't seem to boot from it saying missing operating system."

That does not work for a bootable source, it will not copy all of the necessary files to the new flash drive and it will not be bootable on the USB 2.0 drive.  It has to be either redownloaded - remade just as though it never happened -or you have to use a special software to clone the first USB flash drive to the other.  See this, it seems the easiest way.

http://www.backup-utility.com/clone/how-to-copy-usb-to-usb-3889.html

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.